FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Binnacle help: voltage and coolant temp not reading properly

Binnacle help: voltage and coolant temp not reading properly

Hi folks-so I removed the binnacle today on #5173 in an attempt to sort the coolant temp gauge. It reads, but at a fraction of what it should read. At it's hottest, it will read about 130, even when the fans are kicked on. The voltage gauge has periodically read zero. I took it out, cleaned the contacts, and re-installed it, and both coolant and voltage are reading zero now. Does anyone have any tips? Is the grounding all in the wiring harnesses? A full pinout not necessary, but the pins related to those two left side gauges would be fabulous, so I know where to focus my energy. Thanks!

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Pinouts here.

Check Fuse 5.
    Attached Images

My VIN:    4328

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Pinouts here.

Check Fuse 5.
    I second the fuse. Change it out, it'll probably come to life

thanks folks. one of the first things i did to the car was to pull each fuse and check continuity. my voltage gauge has been behaving well, however the coolant temp situation is still not reading correctly. after a 20 minute drive or so, the needle will just barely live "north" of the first marker(somewhere around 150-160). I got the fan switch to kick on when I drove the car home, but the radiator fan has not been kicking on when I would expect it to(no, i haven't shot actual temp yet). the terminal of the water temp sensor is visibily corroded/rusty; I'm considering changing that unit out and seeing how it behaves....thanks.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by rjd2 View Post
    thanks folks. one of the first things i did to the car was to pull each fuse and check continuity. my voltage gauge has been behaving well, however the coolant temp situation is still not reading correctly. after a 20 minute drive or so, the needle will just barely live "north" of the first marker(somewhere around 150-160). I got the fan switch to kick on when I drove the car home, but the radiator fan has not been kicking on when I would expect it to(no, i haven't shot actual temp yet). the terminal of the water temp sensor is visibily corroded/rusty; I'm considering changing that unit out and seeing how it behaves....thanks.
    Maybe your thermostat is stuck open. You can start the car cold and let it idle while feeling the pipe where the otterstat is mounted. It should stay cold and then suddenly get hot when the thermostat opens. If it warms up slowly then the thermostat is stuck open.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/