FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Aces! Another "what's a reasonable asking price for this car" thread!

My VIN:    10907

Aces! Another "what's a reasonable asking price for this car" thread!

Well, I'm considering taking my own advice and giving up. What do you guys think I could get for my car?

10907, 1982 DMC 12 (Dec 1981 build)

Flat hood

New DMCH shocks (2017)

Original engine, heads-off block cleanout, radiator & hose replacement at DMCCA (2016)

New DPI clutch hydraulic lines (2019)

New DMCH clutch kit available for installation

Original interior (fair condition)

New TABs (DMCMW 2016)

2nd gear roll pin replaced @ reinforced (DMCMW 2016)

LED marker lights & A/C panel lights (DMCMW 2017)

New starter (DPI 2017)

Metal header bottle (installed by seller 2016)

New R-134 Sanden A/C compressor (2018 )
    R-134 lines replaced by DMCMW (2018 )

DeLorean Go screw-in otterstat pipe (2019)
    (new DMCH pipe and otterstat also available)

New y-pipe (2016)

New DPI coolant hard line (2019)
    (new DMCH hard line also available)

New evaporator core (DMCMW 2016)

200 amp alternator (installed by seller, 2016)

Tires new as of 2016

New shift bushings (2019)

New water pump (2016)

DPI Silicone water pump hoses (2016)
    (New DMCH water pump hoses also available)

DMCH fuel pump/sender combo (installed by seller 2016)

New Grady distributor cap & plug wires (2019)

New Grady fuel accumulator line (2018 )

Grady anti-rattle clips & engine cover reinforcer available

New lower ball joint boots (2017)

Updated relay kit (installed by seller 2016)

New rear main seal & axle seals (2018 )

New DMCH brake lines (2017)

Known issues:

Needs regraining, small dent by front of driver's door and scratch on bottom of passenger door

Fuel tank closing plate has rust spots on edge of driver's side

Radiator has intermittent minor leak from upper drive's side hose

Intermittent fuel smell in cabin

Possibly needs a new clutch

I was hoping I'd be able to get around $40k for it but that's probably dreaming given the number of problems I've had with it. Anybody have any commentary?

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue View Post
    I was hoping I'd be able to get around $40k for it but that's probably dreaming given the number of problems I've had with it. Anybody have any commentary?
    As long as the frame is good, it is worth it to pay to have the clutch replaced and whatever other small problems fixed for a Spring time sale. You could certainly get close to $40K... others have.

My VIN:    3937

With your list of good things above the known issues part, you stating it has a 'fair' interior, and assuming you add pictures, which, among other things, show clearly that your frame is in good condition, then yes, $40k is possible.

Your known issues list represents, to me, about $3k of spending for the parts or labour to fix those things. If you sell it without addressing those items, that $3k represents perhaps $6k that need to come off the asking price. If only because people like getting sorted out cars more than they do ones with issues (even if the known issues are known). If someone out there wants to buy one at a reduced rate and take care of it themselves, then that's a good list to have. For the buyer. It'll still cost you more to sell it like it is than fix the issues and sell it without those problems.

As for the advice about giving up, that's a personal decision and yours alone. Ignore any of that crap about how winners never quit or other cliches. Sometimes the best thing to do is move on to something else that brings joy to your life. If that's the case for you, then you're smart for realizing that, not a quitter or anything else negative. Anyone giving you shit about it can be told to go jump in a lake as far as I'm concerned. Do what's best for you. End statement.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You didn't have the car very long but you put a boatload of money and parts into it! Why stop now, with just a little bit more you can have it done and probably get more money, at the very least it may sell faster if you don't have to say anything negative about it! There is a little time yet to get it done and sell in the Spring. As mentioned, you will probably do better in another month or so.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

DON'T sell your car!!! It is a beautiful example of a Delorean, don't let repairs and upkeep keep you from enjoying your dream!

My VIN:    1710

I think most owners have been in your shoes before. These can be incredibly frustrating little cars to own. Here’s my advice, from someone who’s been there. Put some fuel stabilizer in the tank, cover the car, and focus on other parts of your life for a while. If you’ve got family out of town where you can stash the car, do that so you’re forced to take some time off from interacting with the car. It might just keep you from making an emotional decision you may later regret.

I got frustrated with DeLorean ownership too, ended up dumping my car for WAY less than I should have, and did enjoy life free from the stress of DeLorean ownership for a while. However, within a couple of years, the bug bit me again. Unfortunately, life seems to intervene every time I plan to buy another. It’s been 13 years since I sold mine, and now the same car would likely cost me 3 times as much to buy. It’s getting harder & harder for me to justify spending that kind of money on a toy. Point being: think long & hard from an emotional remove before selling.

If you’re still set on selling your car, do some market research first. Look at completed/sold auctions on eBay & Bring A Trailer, as well as listings on this site. See what auction cars of varying conditions actually bring; and how long it takes cars on here to sell, how many price reductions they go through, etc. I have watched the DeLorean market intensely for about 2 decades now, and can tell you this much. Cars at the bottom end & top end of the market tend to sell briskly. However, average condition “drivers” tend to linger on the market, and their sale prices are often disproportionately unfavorable compared to the project cars and high end ones. Could your car bring $40k? Perhaps, but everything I’ve gleaned about the market tells me that figure is around $5k too high. Just my two cents, and I fully expect my @ss to get jumped for them.
    Louie Golden

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

Don't do it Dara!

Just take a breather from it for awhile.

My VIN:    10353

I think 30 is about what you'd likely get. That's after pricing it at 40 but then having to lower the price multiple times unfortunately.

I've had that same feeling with mine due to the frustration when things go wrong. If you can keep it stored as others have mentioned then you should let it sit for a few months otherwise you'll surely regret selling!

Thats not too bad! Heck that little leak at the radiator is no big deal, regraining can wait. Your list of issues from where some people are sitting looks pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue View Post
    Well, I'm considering taking my own advice and giving up. What do you guys think I could get for my car?

10907, 1982 DMC 12 (Dec 1981 build)

Flat hood

New DMCH shocks (2017)

Original engine, heads-off block cleanout, radiator & hose replacement at DMCCA (2016)

New DPI clutch hydraulic lines (2019)

New DMCH clutch kit available for installation

Original interior (fair condition)

New TABs (DMCMW 2016)

2nd gear roll pin replaced @ reinforced (DMCMW 2016)

LED marker lights & A/C panel lights (DMCMW 2017)

New starter (DPI 2017)

Metal header bottle (installed by seller 2016)

New R-134 Sanden A/C compressor (2018 )
    R-134 lines replaced by DMCMW (2018 )

DeLorean Go screw-in otterstat pipe (2019)
    (new DMCH pipe and otterstat also available)

New y-pipe (2016)

New DPI coolant hard line (2019)
    (new DMCH hard line also available)

New evaporator core (DMCMW 2016)

200 amp alternator (installed by seller, 2016)

Tires new as of 2016

New shift bushings (2019)

New water pump (2016)

DPI Silicone water pump hoses (2016)
    (New DMCH water pump hoses also available)

DMCH fuel pump/sender combo (installed by seller 2016)

New Grady distributor cap & plug wires (2019)

New Grady fuel accumulator line (2018 )

Grady anti-rattle clips & engine cover reinforcer available

New lower ball joint boots (2017)

Updated relay kit (installed by seller 2016)

New rear main seal & axle seals (2018 )

New DMCH brake lines (2017)

Known issues:

Needs regraining, small dent by front of driver's door and scratch on bottom of passenger door

Fuel tank closing plate has rust spots on edge of driver's side

Radiator has intermittent minor leak from upper drive's side hose

Intermittent fuel smell in cabin

Possibly needs a new clutch

I paid 42K for my car at DMC MW. Seller got 38K as they charge 10% premium to sell on consignment I believe. I felt like the price was fair, since it is a great car, and I knew who I was getting it from. Mine is an earlier car VIN 2282 (July '81), 5 speed with 25K original miles. It spent the first half of its life in California, so the frame is excellent. I had it at DCS, and it did very well in the 25-50K mileage category. In terms of maintenance, it had $15,000 put in it in the last 6 years at DMC alone (cosmetic and everything you'd do to a car that sat for a time). I probably have another $1,500-2,000 in it this year with routine maintenance items and a few cosmetic improvements/enhancements (stainless fuel lines, repainting of louvers/engine cover, all fluids, LED conversion throughout most of car, etc.) . As a point of reference to some of the "issues" you list with your car, my car came regained, has a newer clutch, wheels were redone, had Eibach from DMC, and majority of interior replaced/redone (carpets, seats, headliners, dash all through DMC).

Known issues: Original speakers are shot (has Sony head unit and not the original Craig ), and the AC needs a charge every season, so there is a leak somewhere. Looking at fixing these items this year and doing a few other minor things.

I would say if you put a new clutch in, you could probably get close to 40K, especially since that list of what has already been done is pretty extensive, though I haven't really looked at prices since the early Summer. If you keep it, you can always get it re-grained (maybe $1,500 at most at DMC is what mine was with dent repairs) and then you slowly replace the worn items on the interior. Does it need carpets, seats redone, headliner, dash etc. If you are curious, I can always dig out my receipts and let you know how much all that cost. I'd also say don't sell, but I understand why.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast