FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Aces! Another "what's a reasonable asking price for this car" thread!

Quote Originally Posted by eight8toy View Post
    I think 30 is about what you'd likely get. That's after pricing it at 40 but then having to lower the price multiple times unfortunately.
    I'd have to agree. Based on what I've seen recently, and based on what the two DeLoreans in our family were purchased for last year I think even 30 is pushing it.

My VIN:    5312

I would just take a break, and focus on something else. It can be stressful at times. But I wouldn't sell tbh but it's your car we wish you best of luck with your decisions.
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Valley PD View Post
    I would say if you put a new clutch in, you could probably get close to 40K, especially since that list of what has already been done is pretty extensive, though I haven't really looked at prices since the early Summer. If you keep it, you can always get it re-grained (maybe $1,500 at most at DMC is what mine was with dent repairs) and then you slowly replace the worn items on the interior. Does it need carpets, seats redone, headliner, dash etc. If you are curious, I can always dig out my receipts and let you know how much all that cost. I'd also say don't sell, but I understand why.
    The DeLorean vendors command and indeed seem to receive a premium for the cars they sell. I'm sure since Dara bought her car through DMC-Midwest, they'd be willing to consign it, and that would certainly be her best chance at getting top dollar.

Just as a reference point, there are a couple of very nice private-sale DeLoreans on eBay right now. One is currently asking $40k, the other $36k. Both seem to be cosmetically & mechanically sorted, yet both keep sitting on the market & reducing their asking prices:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-DeLore...2:pf:0&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-DeLore...1:pf:0&vxp=mtr

It seems most DeLorean asking prices on Autotrader/Autotrader Classics have crept down into the 30s as well. I suspect this is just reflecting a reality closer to what the cars are selling for vs a true DeLorean market correction. Just info to be aware of.
    Louie Golden

My VIN:    10907

Thanks for your responsses, everybody. A note of clarification: I didn't buy the car through MW, I bought it from a private seller and then they did a bunch of work on it to make sure I could drive it home.

I haven't made any definite decisions yet, waiting to see if I cen get the new clutch cylinders & line in by mysekf and get it shifting at least, then see if it actually does need the clutch too. This isn't even the worst problem I've had with it but a lot of other factors just kind of piled up at once and everything was feeling hopeless for a few days.

If I can get it in working order I'll drive it to CA in a couple weeks and see how it does before I do anything I might regret later.

My VIN:    3937

I think the "take a break and clear your head" advice several people have suggested is really good. Doesn't have to be any set amount of time, just enough for you to step back and cool down the emotionally driven part of the decision making. These cars can definitely feel overwhelming from time to time.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

I definitely paid a premium for mine buying it through a DMC vendor, but I also knew I was getting a good one with the exact features I was looking for. I gave them a list of preferences, and they happened to get the exact car in days before. Had I found the owner before consignment, I would have gotten the car for under 40K for sure. I was also really close to flying out to California and purchasing Ryan S's car for virtually the same price I paid for mine, but with shipping it back to IL, I would have had more money in that car than my current one.

With respect to your conundrum, take a break and revisit this in Spring. If you still want to sell it then, then that would be the time to do so. I am going through the same thing with my 1970 Mustang Mach 1. Everyone says not to sell it, but it would be nice to free up some garage space and have the cash on hand. I have a small list of things I want to do to the DeLorean still, so there's that too. Plus, we are also going to need a new car pretty soon as one of our normal cars, a Hummer H3, just hit 294K and little things keep popping up on it. These are hard decisions that need time to work themselves out. It was pleasure meeting you at DCS!
    Last edited by Hill Valley PD; 02-22-2019 at 09:18 AM.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by hippieman9 View Post
    DON'T sell your car!!! It is a beautiful example of a Delorean, don't let repairs and upkeep keep you from enjoying your dream!
    I agree with this 100%.

When #2613's engine died and I didn't have the wherewithal to mount an engine replacement, I put it on jack-stands and waited until I had the resources. It was over two years before I had a well-running DeLorean again, but now it's running and I don't regret waiting. You know what I would have regretted? Selling it. No matter how much I could have got for it. Once it's gone, you can't get it back.

Sometimes when it's getting me frustrated I take a break from the DeLorean. It's OK. We all get burned out from time to time. But if owning it and driving it brings you any amount of joy, I'd reconsider selling it, unless you are in dire need of some cash right now.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It's nice being able to tell someone what to do. Maybe he financed it and can't afford the payments anymore. Or maybe he can't park it in a garage anymore. Or he is having another kid and needs the money. It's only a car and if the OP has to sell it, he can get another one if and when he is in a better place to do so. Sometimes life gets in the way of what we really want to do.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    It's nice being able to tell someone what to do. Maybe he financed it and can't afford the payments anymore. Or maybe he can't park it in a garage anymore. Or he is having another kid and needs the money. It's only a car and if the OP has to sell it, he can get another one if and when he is in a better place to do so. Sometimes life gets in the way of what we really want to do.
    Is it also nice being able to assume that the woman you're talking about is a man?
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    Is it also nice being able to assume that the woman you're talking about is a man?
    The tech manual forbids arguing with David T.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast