FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Aces! Another "what's a reasonable asking price for this car" thread!

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The tech manual forbids arguing with David T.
    Everyone wishes Michael would sell his Delorean.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

I'm amazed that some people find it terribly shocking and offensive that DeLorean owners would argue in favor of DeLorean ownership...
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    10907

Thanks, guys. For the record, it's not really a matter of any pressing financial urgency. It was just a bunch of things, many of them directly or tangentially DeLorean-related, that all piled up at once. Not all of them were as bad as I thought, but some of them are and will probably get worse. I'm just at the point where I'm feeling like the enjoyment I'm getting out of the car isn't worth the money I've spent on it and I should cut my losses. We'll see.

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue View Post
    Thanks, guys. For the record, it's not really a matter of any pressing financial urgency. It was just a bunch of things, many of them directly or tangentially DeLorean-related, that all piled up at once. Not all of them were as bad as I thought, but some of them are and will probably get worse. I'm just at the point where I'm feeling like the enjoyment I'm getting out of the car isn't worth the money I've spent on it and I should cut my losses. We'll see.
    Understandable... If I can't use it as much as I want to, I'm not happy with it. Fortunately, I feel like I have been very lucky for the past few years... and therefore very happy. Most of the inhibiting reasons for going out is when the attention starts to get in the way of trying to make it somewhere on time. As bonded as I am, the day will come to move on. All things must pass/ all things must pass away.

My VIN:    01800

Quote Originally Posted by SamHill View Post
    Most of the inhibiting reasons for going out is when the attention starts to get in the way of trying to make it somewhere on time.
    This is one of my problems as well. I've got a really tight schedule and just don't allocate much time for joyriding. My kids are also too young to enjoy the car. If I can hold onto the car for a few more years, they're going to love it, but I've been talking about selling the car for 2 years now and have made peace with letting it go. I just need to find a buyer although I haven't been looking for one very hard, haha.

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

My car is ALWAYS for sale. The price just gets adjusted based on who's asking me. I can always buy another one and start over. That said, I get frustrated every now and then with the drip drip drip of issues that pop up and need resolving. Then I remember that problem solving, engineering solutions and overall improvement of the status quo are things that I enjoy! What would I do if my hobby car was actually reliable, bulletproof or never in need of maintenance? Wax the paint job?
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Well, a new slave cylinder and clutch line, another week of beating my head against the wall, a flatbed ride, a new clutch and $1000 of labor later, I have a running car again, so maybe I'll keep it after all. I'm a lot less miserable when I have a running DeLorean than when I have a non-running one, it turns out. If only all the rest of my problems were this (comparatively) easy to fix, LOL...

My VIN:    5312

Well, a new slave cylinder and clutch line, another week of beating my head against the wall, a flatbed ride, a new clutch and $1000 of labor later, I have a running car again, so maybe I'll keep it after all. I'm a lot less miserable when I have a running DeLorean than when I have a non-running one, it turns out. If only all the rest of my problems were this (comparatively) easy to fix, LOL...
    Did you have the original clutch line? The difference was night and day for me when i got the stainless one done
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

I'm glad you're getting on better terms again with your car. I'm also glad to know I'm not the only one who has DeLorean induced mood swings. Right now I'm in the misery camp but as you have reminded us it does pass
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Quote Originally Posted by Riley88 View Post
    Did you have the original clutch line? The difference was night and day for me when i got the stainless one done
    It had been replaced within the last 3 years but my slave cylinder was leaking and full of crud (not sure if it was actually replaced when the rest of the stuff was) so I thought I'd better replace the line too so it wouldn't get contaminants back into the system.

Quote Originally Posted by AugustneverEnds View Post

I'm glad you're getting on better terms again with your car. I'm also glad to know I'm not the only one who has DeLorean induced mood swings. Right now I'm in the misery camp but as you have reminded us it does pass
    Yeah, I definitely wasn't expecting to have this much trouble with it this soon after all the other work I had done on it. I hope it forgives me for hitting it on the underbody and calling it a piece of shit and telling it I wished I'd never bought it. I feel crushing guilt about that now, especially since this time it was kind enough to break down in my garage instead of stranding me by the side of the road the last time I'd driven it (in the mountains in freezing cold)...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast