FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Generic muffler advice

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Generic muffler advice

I have dual cats & Magnaflow mufflers on my car. The headers on each side do a 180* and come straight back. The Magnaflows are 20" x 8" x ~4" and are offsets. 2.25" pipes. The orientation is great and it puts the tips in just the right place. The mufflers sit 'on edge'.

They are just too damned loud under load. At idle they are fine but they are just plain beefy and noisy for my taste. I realize quieter ones won't flow quite as well but I'm ok with that. I'm therefore looking for recommendations on brand or models that are essentially of the same dimension but quiet. From the picture you can see how they would have to fit.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Attached Images
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

mufflers

I have Joshes SS headers with two seven inch
    Cherry Bombs. Beings both my Wife and I have
    hearing problems it sounds just fine....

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

I've been talking about my exhaust in this thread . I have a somewhat unusual muffler setup, and I'm sure I have some exhaust clamp leaks (it's notably quieter when it warms up and seals itself) that I'm hoping to fix in the next week, but it's not bad.

Farrar seems to have a similar exhaust to you. I suggested there that Car Chemistry inserts might help reduce the droning he's experiencing. They seemed to have helped in my car when I placed them between the muffler and the tail pipes, knocking off a couple of decibels (subjectively; I didn't measure) and getting rid of a higher-pitched tone that bugged me quite a lot.

The thing is, they're about 6" long or so, and you seem to have very little space. I don't know if you could fit so that they'd run partially inside the cat and muffler, since there clearly isn't enough pipe between those to insert it in the pipe itself. You could possibly put them right in the exhaust tips as well, going back into the muffler if necessary.

The inserts are $60 each, so it's not horribly expensive if you want to test it out. Not to say it will work for you, though. You can also insert stainless steel wool between the rings on the silencers and weld caps on the end to further reduce the noise (I'm not currently doing that). This which will rob some power, but for me I'd prefer to not be deafened while driving my car than have a couple more HP.

I got a couple of requests for pics of my headers and the exhaust piping.
    My research so far is leading me to a Walker 17612 or Thrush 17712. I need to double check if I'm 2" or 2.25" piping.....
    If I do swap out, I will have a pair of stainless steel throaty mufflers for sale.........
    Attached Images
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

What manifolds are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_SS_TT View Post
    What manifolds are you using?
    The ones in the picture? I can't remember their history..... Peugeot perhaps. I think I got them from a guy in Florida. Bolt right onto the block. The flared end was a bit more challenging to mate up to the exhaust but I found the right fittings.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

I have two Borla Pro XS 2.25" mufflers on #2613. Exhaust is not loud but is a bit throaty. They hang exactly where yours hang.

3.0L, automatic, carbureted