FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Best video editing software for the money?

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Best video editing software for the money?

Let's say OP is a huge simpleton (which is true) and just wants some easy beginner's level video editing software. Insert pics, manipulate audio, etc. I don't need some $400 fancy pants Adobe suite. What would you recommend?

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

Depends on the platform. I don't know about Windows, but an Adobe subscription is probably your best bet there so that you can use Premier.

On macOS or iOS, iMovie will get you started, works well for most basic things, and it's free on both platforms. Final Cut Pro X is good for more advanced editing on the Mac, but it's $300. It's a one-time purchase, though, so you feel less bad if you're not using it every month like you do with a subscription. I like FCPX myself, but I don't do too much vide work currently.

There are lots of other apps out there, but I can't speak to them, so I'll leave that to others.

-- Joe

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Windows movie maker (assuming you have a PC it's probably already on your machine) is great for simple projects. Basic swipes and transitions, titles/captions etc.

I did buy another video editing program for my later projects for like 20 bucks and it's quite immersive. I got Magix Movie edit Pro(can't remember the release but it was an older version hence the cheap price). It will let you do chroma key and give you a bit more freedom than the freeware. I bet if you visit a local Best Buy, you will find a cheap software to fit your needs for well under 40 bucks. Once you see one you like and you are jot in a hurry for it, ebay is probably even cheaper.
    Last edited by Michael; 02-23-2019 at 04:06 PM.

My VIN:    2245

I use Kdenlive on Linux, it's free.

My VIN:    3937

I like Roxio Creator. It has editing features for music, photo and video. My version is from 2011 and it's still fine for what I need it for. I'd imagine their latest version is even more fancy. I think it was less than $50 CAD, which would probably be about $30 USD back then.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Nothing witty here lest it offend

After some research I... I...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHIcmoY3_lE

My VIN:    Between VINs

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Windows movie maker (assuming you have a PC it's probably already on your machine) is great for simple projects. Basic swipes and transitions, titles/captions etc.
    WMM is the easy button but it's not on Windows anymore and reached end of life about two years ago. You can still install it if you have the install package but it's not supported. Pretty sure it's part of the Windows Essentials suite installer.

My limitation with it is that it doesn't do picture in picture.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

I use Sony Movie Studio. It's the "poor man's Sony Vegas." Has a bunch of features I will never use, but many useful ones like being able to brighten a dark video, increase or reduce audio levels, add text to the screen, etc.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    05457

If you don't mind buying a video editor, I really like CyberLink PowerDirector. It has an easy mode that is supposed to be like Windows MovieMaker, and a more complex mode that is like a simplified Adobe Premiere. I haven't used the easy mode yet, but given how friendly the more complex mode is to use I assume I highly recommend it.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    First 700

Top Seven Free Video Editors

DaVinci Resolve is probably the best.

Here is a YouTube on the best 7 out there to consider:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiesMpzFYf8