FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Fuel distributor rebuild breakdown

My VIN:    000774

Club(s):   (DMA)

Fuel distributor rebuild breakdown

Does anyone on here have a detailed breakdown on how to rebuild the fuel distributor? I have a rebuild kit ready to be used but I can't find a good layout fir reference material. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Check out this thread in the Resources section:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?352-K-Jetronic-System

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Nick774 View Post
    Does anyone on here have a detailed breakdown on how to rebuild the fuel distributor? I have a rebuild kit ready to be used but I can't find a good layout fir reference material. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    You can't find any good reference materiel because the unit is not supposed to be serviced in the field. You really should not be taking it apart except maybe to replace the "O" rings in the Primary Pressure Regulator. As long as the fuel plunger can move freely and isn't nicked up or scuffed you should not be disassembling the fuel distributor. The plunger should be able to fall out of the fuel distributor by only it's own weight (don't let it hit the floor!). Refer to D:01:16
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    03572

I rebuilt one and if I was to do another I would not use any sealer at all. The factory did not use sealer so you have to be really sure everything is clean and perfectly flat. The sealer will "squish" all over the place covering some of the very small holes because the halfs are such a perfect flat surface.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Well, despite what others may say, I've rebuilt mine in the past with great success using the PDF from the link below. The most important thing was to take it apart upside down (top facing towards the ground) so you don't lose any spacers or springs. Mine needed a rebuild after the o-rings turned to goo after sitting for some time. After I replaced all of them it worked just fine and it was much cheaper than buying a new/rebuilt one that someone else will just open up and replace o-rings in. I did not find the rebuild to be difficult.

http://marekv.ee/MB/CIS/files/CISRebuild.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    You can't find any good reference materiel because the unit is not supposed to be serviced in the field. You really should not be taking it apart except maybe to replace the "O" rings in the Primary Pressure Regulator. As long as the fuel plunger can move freely and isn't nicked up or scuffed you should not be disassembling the fuel distributor. The plunger should be able to fall out of the fuel distributor by only it's own weight (don't let it hit the floor!). Refer to D:01:16
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    3880

Mine had been sitting for 15 years and was, of course, clogged and jammed up completely. After replacing everything in the fuel tank, I rebuilt my fuel distributor as well as my WUR, and it runs like a champ now. Do be careful with the sealer though. Dave's dead right about tiny holes getting clogged up. The 1st time I put it back together with no sealer it was seeping at the seam just a tiny bit when reassembled and running, so I broke it back down and put a small strip of Indian Head Gasket Shellac just around the edges. That sealed it up and it runs perfectly at the moment. It may quit tomorrow, but it's running great now. It needed rebuilding even if it hadn't been sitting. The plate had dimples on it at the valve openings, which is a primary failure mode. Another pointer... that plate doesn't go on there the way it looks like it does. The hole in the plate for the WUR is really tiny. You'll likely miss it completely unless you hold it up to a light and look through it. It looks like it goes on turned over because there's a bigger hole there. Look carefully for that tiny hole. That's the one that goes to the WUR. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    Well, despite what others may say, I've rebuilt mine in the past with great success using the PDF from the link below. The most important thing was to take it apart upside down (top facing towards the ground) so you don't lose any spacers or springs. Mine needed a rebuild after the o-rings turned to goo after sitting for some time. After I replaced all of them it worked just fine and it was much cheaper than buying a new/rebuilt one that someone else will just open up and replace o-rings in. I did not find the rebuild to be difficult.

http://marekv.ee/MB/CIS/files/CISRebuild.pdf

My VIN:    000774

Club(s):   (DMA)

Thank you guys for the references, this is a spare distributor im rebuilding, if all goes right with this then i will rebuild my other as well.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I rebuilt one and if I was to do another I would not use any sealer at all. The factory did not use sealer so you have to be really sure everything is clean and perfectly flat. The sealer will "squish" all over the place covering some of the very small holes because the halfs are such a perfect flat surface.
    +1 !
    I tried several metal gasket shellacs/sealers and had problems with weeping.

A new gasket (diaphragm) and surgically clean surfaces was the key.