FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where to search for the diode? // Interior light does not light up when opening door

My VIN:    #1550

Where to search for the diode? // Interior light does not light up when opening door

Hi!
    I am really glad that I found this forum with nice and helpful people.
    Time goes by and my winter restauration is still not done although it is already march...
    I was able to get along with the restauration of the electrics on my DeLorean VIN#1550.
    David Mc Keens "Dome Light Module" arrived in Germany after 3 month of shipping!!! Wow, that was "express logistics".
    The installation was no problem, also if there is not much space in the relay and fuse compartment.
    It works fine, but - as it already did before I installed Davids module - it is only controlled from the RH door switch.
    The LH door switch works great (I know this, because it controlls the three lights in the left door the way it should) but does neither communicate with the "door ajay" warning light in the instrument cluster, nor with the "Dome Light Module".
    I tried to route the appropriate wires in the wireing schematic and came to one point.
    I think, one wire lost its contact to a diode what would explain the working door lights and the loss on corresondence with the "Dome Light Module".
    Here is a zoom of section I/J 4/5 on the map with a red mark on the diode I am thinking of...
    DeLorean Wiring Schematic COLOR-cut.jpg
    I would very much like to ask you if you think the same as I do or if you have any other ideas where to search for the problem.

But where to search for this diode? In the schematics it is just "there" but it could be nearly everywhere in the car. Maybe someone had the same problem before and can tell about his search...!?

Thank you very much and best wishes,

Lars

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

I believe that diode is located in the drivers door.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Refer to the Parts Manual section 3-7-3 ref #'s 13 & 14.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    03572

The three dome door diodes are in the harness by the drivers right foot.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    03500

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    The three dome door diodes are in the harness by the drivers right foot.
    Ahhh, didn't think i was right. Lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

Research and photo...

Hi!
    Thank you very much for your multiple answers, links and information. I was on further education yesterday so I looked for the diodes this morning... and took a photo.
    IMG_0867.jpg
    I measured all three diodes (black, red and blue) with my multimeter and all had a reading of about 0,5 (Volt) and in the other direction infinetely, so the three diodes are working.
    I cheked all crimped plugs and all but one looked original and like new. The one that was re-crimped is the plug on the blue diode (purple/white) on the right side of the diode, but the contact is good. But now I know that someone has already been working here. Unfortunately nearly everything the PO did/tried was "not good" in quality so I was always happier to find something not working but original than not working and tinkered...

So my hope is now, that the PO maybe connected either the diode(s) the wrong way or confused the cables on the diodes (or both).
    I would be very happy if you could check this with your documentation. I labeled the diodes and cables here:
    Diodes.jpg

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!
    Best wishes and have a nice sunday,

Lars

My VIN:    3937

Those diode connections look about the same as the ones on my own car.

Diodes 1.jpg

Could you take a photo or two of the wires connecting to the backside of the door plunger switch on your driver's door? Perhaps you switched up those power wires with the ones that go to the door ajar light and buzzer? It might explain why those door lights get power but are not in sync with the other interior lights.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Photo of door plunger switch

Hi Jonathan!
    I agree, the cables and diodes look the same...
    Here is a photo of the door plunger switch. Maybe you can find a mistake in this harness?
    IMG_0875.jpg

I would not expect a mistake there, because the upper switch turns the three door lights on and off as it should.
    But maybe they can also be connected on another way to work...!?
    Thank you very much,

kind regards,

Lars.

My VIN:    03572

My bet is the diode connections has a bad one. Try pulling and wiggling the diode wires as the door is open and see if the dome light comes on. Those crimps with two wires in one terminal seem to go bad.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast