FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Where to search for the diode? // Interior light does not light up when opening door

My VIN:    03500

Did you check the bulb in the dash?

My VIN:    3937

Those door plunger wires look ok to me.

Perhaps it is as simple as a poor connection on one of those diodes, as Dave suggested?

Maybe something else to confirm quickly is what you are seeing with the other interior lights. So you're saying that both the dome lights will work with the passenger door opening and closing? Such that with both doors closed, and all interior lights off, when you open only the passenger door, both dome lights come on?

And if you try again with both doors closed and all lights off, opening of just the driver's door doesn't turn those dome lights on? But it does turn the three door lights on when you do this?

You have your dome lights working with the tip forward or tip backward feature, so that one direction the light comes on and the other direction it only comes on with the door(s) open? There are a few different ways those dome lights can be wired and still get them to work more or less.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    #1550

Hi Jonathan!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Those door plunger wires look ok to me.
    Perhaps it is as simple as a poor connection on one of those diodes, as Dave suggested?
    I will check this in the evening and will report about the results!

Maybe something else to confirm quickly is what you are seeing with the other interior lights. So you're saying that both the dome lights will work with the passenger door opening and closing? Such that with both doors closed, and all interior lights off, when you open only the passenger door, both dome lights come on?
    Yes, that is correct!

And if you try again with both doors closed and all lights off, opening of just the driver's door doesn't turn those dome lights on? But it does turn the three door lights on when you do this?
    YES, that is 100% my situation.

You have your dome lights working with the tip forward or tip backward feature, so that one direction the light comes on and the other direction it only comes on with the door(s) open?
    Yes, it seems that it are bothe the original ones. I will check the cabling in the evening, too.

There are a few different ways those dome lights can be wired and still get them to work more or less.
    Fingers crossed, I still have a little hope for a simple "poor connection".

Best wishes, Lars.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

On the driver's side there are two switches. There are two groups of two wires taped together. You MUST keep each group of wires separate, ie, one set of taped wires go to one switch and the other set of taped wires to the other. Do NOT "cross" them. One switch is for the lights and the other is for the buzzer. It doesn't matter which switch is which just don't cross the wires. Check that when the dome lights are "flat they are off and will not go on, in one position that one is always on and in the other it goes on and off with the door opening. Check each light. Switching the wires around can make strange things happen.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    #1550

Talking Problem solved

Hi guys, I did find the culprit!
    As David suggested...

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    My bet is the diode connections has a bad one. Try pulling and wiggling the diode wires as the door is open and see if the dome light comes on. Those crimps with two wires in one terminal seem to go bad.
    ...I checked the terminals, wires and diodes again this evening.

And it was a cold solder joint in the red diode housing. When I checked the diodes before, I did not stress the contacts. Today I did and found out, that the lights go on, if I touch the cables from/to the red diode housing. Distorting the cables did let me first think of the terminal(s), but it was the inner solder joint in the housing. I could not see it, but it was easily measurable with the multimeter.
    I then openend the diode housing (pressed the black plastic with the terminals out to one side).
    The black platic is a hollow tube, in which a tiny 1N4006 diode was soldered to the metal terminals. I did not see any cold solder joint, but after resoldering the multimeter told me that it did work.
    After refitting into the harness IT IS WORKING NOW!!! And the light is brighter and not flickering in detail as it did before.

So let me say: THANK YOU VERY MUCH to all of you, who tried to help!

Best wishes,

Lars

My VIN:    03500

wunderbar!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Now on to the lamp delay. One problem down and X more to go!
    David Teitelbaum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2