FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Delorean Intake Carb Conversion...

My VIN:    3880

Delorean Intake Carb Conversion...

I know that there have been people who've modified the factory DeLorean intake for carburetion. Does anyone know where I might find pictures of what exactly they did to the manifold? Just checking to see if anyone has dreamed up something that I hadn't thought of. 1st, 3880 is running just fine on the original KJet at the moment after rebuilding the fuel distributor, WUR, and a few other things, so I'm not butchering the factory stuff. I just know how finicky KJetronic is and that it's notoriously unreliable. I got my hands on another factory intake, and being a reasonably serious fabricator in drag racing circles, I know exactly how I'd like to modify that factory DeLorean manifold to take a Holley 390, or perhaps 450. I've seen the mods of the Peugeot manifold, but all other things being equal, there's no way that the Peugeot imanifold would make the power that the factory DeLorean manifold would, primarily because the Peugeot manifold has wildly varying runner lengths. It's not tuned at all. In any way. Period. The DeLorean manifold has long equal length runners. I haven't run the numbers yet to figure out the optimum runner length, but I KNOW I can make better power out of the DeLorean manifold, even if I need to shorten the runners. There's a L-O-T to be said for tuned port ram charging, and it's been said many times on many dyno's. The design of the DeLorean manifold lends its self to easy modification to anyone with a TIG and the requisite knowledge. My plan is to pull off all of the factory Bosch FI, clean it out properly for safe storage (so it doesn't bind/clog up from sitting with old fuel in it), and properly store it in case I ever want to put the car back OEM for the antique resale value. In the mean time, I really like idea of making 3880 a very solid, very reliable "presentable driver". It's a LOT more fun driving it and talking to... oh, almost every person you see at every convenience store you stop at about it, than it is to look at that pristine, factory original trailer queen in the shop. I know a Holley like the back of my hand. In 35+ years of cruising, I've literally NEVER had a Holley 4150 hose up to the point that I couldn't get it rolling again with nothing more that a flat blade screwdriver and an adjustable wrench. Anyway, I'd really love to see how others went about modifying the DeLorean manifold for carburation, and share my ideas on it.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

I believe at one time Byrne Heninger was working on a carburetor conversion using a cut-down stock intake manifold. I do not know if he succeeded before his health prevented him from working. To my knowledge his would have been the first successful carburetor conversion using the stock intake manifold. Perhaps someone with more information can chime in on this thread and fill in the gaps in my memory.

I think that, unless you are absolutely dead set on using the stock manifold for some reason, it would probably be easier to find a Peugeot 604 manifold and make an adapter plate from aluminum so that you can mount whatever carburetor you want to use -- or get one of Bill Robertson's fabricated manifolds and tell him what carburetor you plan to use so he can make an adapter plate for it.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

I know Rich Rogers car had an intake like this when he bought it.

not sure what he did with it.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

I wanted to run a carb, so I did an LS swap and then bought the appropriate Edelbrock intake manifold.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    I wanted to run a carb, so I did an LS swap and then bought the appropriate Edelbrock intake manifold.
    Where can I see pictures of this beautiful beast?

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

-Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    3880

Freakin' awesome. If I thought that transaxle would actually handle it reliably, I'd do it in a minute.

My VIN:    4087

Club(s):   (DOC-UK)

That is fantastic

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by TGGreene View Post
    Freakin' awesome. If I thought that transaxle would actually handle it reliably, I'd do it in a minute.
    So long as you don't drive around like a pissed off teenager, the stock transaxle with an upgraded coupler will serve you well.
    There are other transmission options out there as well if you want to take it drag racing every weekend or something silly.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

That is a beautiful thing. Nicely done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast