FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Auto trans leaking at cooler nut

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    #2613's ATF cooler is not mounted in front of the condenser. There wouldn't be any room for that. The cooler is mounted behind the radiator fans in the "empty space" there in the curve of the frame.
    That makes a lot more sense.

I used this cooler. Because the fittings are so large (10AN) Bill used brass reducing couplings to connect to the 90-degree copper fittings, thus allowing a more or less straight piece of hose to go to the copper pipes that are mounted to the frame. I haven't checked but I think he used 5/8" hose. I'll ask him the next chance I get. In the meantime, let me know if you want pictures.
    That's great -- the video was certainly useful, but some pictures of how everything is mounted would be great. Although if my fixes from the weekend work, I probably won't do anything until it starts leaking again, so no need to hurry. Just next time you happen to be under there is fine. I'm mostly collecting information at the moment.

I do have a couple other very minor leaks. There seems to be one at the center of the case where the two halves come together, but I'm not totally sure if it's just fluid collecting there from somewhere else, or an actual leak at that join. The other is around the pan, which I guess is just a thing we deal with at this point. I'm using DPI's silicone seal, which is definitely better than the cork ones. I think I put it on dry, but I don't remember anymore.

Oil filter is an STP S6941.
    Excellent -- I'll hunt them down, or whatever they cross-reference to. Thanks!

-- Joe

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by jangell View Post
    Excellent -- I'll hunt them down, or whatever they cross-reference to. Thanks!
    Try using a 1989 Porsche 944 Turbo as a cross-reference. I *THINK* that's the cross-reference, but I'm not sure.

I'll get pics of my setup the next time I have the front end in the air (soon - I'm replacing the horns next) -- but I hope you won't need them.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Well, I didn’t even make it to the transmission cooler test. I poured in a quart of fluid, and found it dribbling out around the base of the tube. It’s basically how it was when I used the wrong sized O-ring.

So I guess I’m ordering an otterstat seal and hopefully installing that this weekend. I’ll post an update again once that’s in and tested.

I’ll also check for the Porsche crossover for that oil filter.

Thanks!

— Joe

My VIN:    16409

Joe, I've heard that the otterstat seal works best for the auto transmission dipstick tube. I would just get another one of those.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Just to wrap this up:

- The otterstat seal on the dipstick worked perfectly and there aren't any leaks there anymore. At least I'm pretty sure it's not leaking anymore (there's still left over fluid on the transmission). The dipstick doesn't quite sit vertical once mounted to the cylinder head, but it seems to be sealing just fine.

- Unscrewing and re-attaching the cooler line seems to have fixed the leak there as well, so I think I'm good to go. There was a tiny bit of seeping that may have already been there from when it was last tightened up a week prior, so maybe it needs to be a touch tighter, but that's it -- it's not like it was before, where there were visible drops pooling on the floor of the garage. If it starts leaking again, I'll explore some of the other cooler options.

My test was just to run the car up to operating temperature and then let it idle for a few minutes. Once I have a chance to drive it (next week sometime) I'll do another check for leaks just to be sure.

Thanks again everyone!

-- Joe

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Hooray! Easy fixes are great. They're so rare on these cars.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by jangell View Post
    Just to wrap this up:

- The otterstat seal on the dipstick worked perfectly and there aren't any leaks there anymore. At least I'm pretty sure it's not leaking anymore (there's still left over fluid on the transmission). The dipstick doesn't quite sit vertical once mounted to the cylinder head, but it seems to be sealing just fine.

- Unscrewing and re-attaching the cooler line seems to have fixed the leak there as well, so I think I'm good to go. There was a tiny bit of seeping that may have already been there from when it was last tightened up a week prior, so maybe it needs to be a touch tighter, but that's it -- it's not like it was before, where there were visible drops pooling on the floor of the garage. If it starts leaking again, I'll explore some of the other cooler options.

My test was just to run the car up to operating temperature and then let it idle for a few minutes. Once I have a chance to drive it (next week sometime) I'll do another check for leaks just to be sure.

Thanks again everyone!

-- Joe
    Any difficulty getting wrenches on these fittings? I ask because of hearing they are a pain in the butt to get loosened off (or tightened back up). I have had off and on leaks with my cooler lines for a while. I actually have both brand new cooler hoses ready to go, just haven't put them in yet. Those fittings aren't available at the moment as new replacements, so need to reuse the ones I have. One comment I heard was the tendency for the fitting to come out of the transmission, but not separate itself from the other half (that's connected to the hose). Maybe just a lot of unnecessary paranoia or fear factor in starting this job from reading too much about it and not enough just going ahead and doing it?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My friend had the wrenches on the cooler this time, so I can't really say what they were like.

However, I did disconnect the transmission lines from the cooler when I pulled the engine and transmission a few years back. I left the hoses in the transmission, but I had a lot of trouble getting the one of them back on the cooler. From my notes, it seems that I wound up binding the rearward transmission cooler line to the point that I just assumed I was going to strip the threads in the line. I also wound up bending the metal portion of the line near the transmission. I decided to remove it instead, but my wrench just turned the adaptor on the transmission, and there wasn't enough clearance to turn it around completely from there. I wound up getting out my angle grinder and cutting off the line and ordering a replacement. I had to clamp the adaptor nut into a vice and put quite a lot of torque on the wrench to break it free from the line.

So yeah, the fittings in the transmission do seem to come out with the lines sometimes. But you can just screw them back in after you get the old lines off of them.

-- Joe

Some follow up on this: The reason I couldn't get the dipstick tube to seat properly is wasn't bent enough, which caused it to hit the body, and thus required the tube to sit at an angle. The only way to get it to seal properly like that is probably to use a lot of RTV.

Instead, I wedged it in a vice and carefully bent it (ie: pulled real hard) until it cleared the body. After that, I was able to get it properly aligned in the transmission. I used the otterstat gasket and Right Stuff on it, and now it appears to be sealing properly and no longer leaks.

As a bonus, the problem I had with not being able to get the dipstick all the way in the tube much of the time is also fixed, since the tube is now aligned properly. Instead it gets a little stuck trying to remove it, but it's pretty easy to dislodge when that happens.

The cooler nut seems to be tight enough that it's not leaking anymore, so I think I'm good there.

Thanks again!

-- Joe

Ok, so there's still a leak showing up at the lower cooler nut. Today I had the car up and the engine running, and I noticed that there's fluid on the PJ Grady heat sink fins. It seems like it's the upper connection that's leaking, not the bottom -- it's just leaking under the heat sink fins, which is why I didn't see it before.

Off to tighten that up now, which I'm sure will be lots of fun thanks to its location.

-- Joe

Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 3.19.37 PM.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast