FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Got an offer to sell my Delorean today.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    I don't understand why anyone gets upset about this. It is obviously just a conversation starter.
    No it's not a conversation starter unless you enjoy conversing with a donkey. The question is akin to "How much is it worth?" It's an obnoxious question that seems kosher only to those with no tact or manners. It doesn't upset me after I answer it's not for sale...any further statement to the matter is rude and unwanted.

Other questions along the same train:

Your wife is pretty...what is her bra size?

That your daughter?...she 18 yet?

Nice car...what's the retail on one of those?
    Last edited by Michael; 03-09-2019 at 12:53 PM.

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

I don't understand why anyone gets upset about this. It is obviously just a conversation starter.
    It’s a poor conversation starter.
    “Nice car,” “Hi, what year is that?” “Wow, I’ve never seen a Delorean in person before” are conversation starters. Even a Flux Capacitor comment is a conversation starter. To walk up and the first words out of their mouth to be “How much” is annoying to no end.
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Not everyone is as well mannered as we are on this forum. Or as imaginative. They probably think they are being cute. It is still said with no malice so you should not take it as an insult. You take your Delorean out in public and you have to put up with other people's behavior. If you don't like the attention get something less conspicuous. If you really don't want to be offended don't go to a car show. People walk up to the car with all kinds of comments and think that you never heard them before.
    David Teitelbaum

Not everyone is as well mannered as we are on this forum. Or as imaginative. They probably think they are being cute. It is still said with no malice so you should not take it as an insult. You take your Delorean out in public and you have to put up with other people's behavior. If you don't like the attention get something less conspicuous. If you really don't want to be offended don't go to a car show. People walk up to the car with all kinds of comments and think that you never heard them before.
    So you agree with us

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

David, you a wrong on this. It is outside of your "expertise" as "guru" to us lesser Delorean owners. It is rude. It has been made acceptable because of the loss of civility brought on by so many cultural changes that I won't go into. Give up.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

I have touched many times that the "how much is it worth" and the "don't take it out unless you are prepared for __________" subjects and for the most part I choose to embrace the positive side:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?15...che-s-clothing

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?14...-A-Short-Story

That said(albeit longwinded), the "How Much" guy is not the same as the "Is it by any chance for sale" guy. The "How Much" guy is just a plain arrogant self centered jackass on so many levels.

I can accept the "How much" from some people, some people just aren't educated or are as much off guard when they ask as we are when asked. I think if they had a chance to really think it through they might ask in a different way.

People that covet nice or rare cars know what to ask and how to ask, they've been down the road a time or two and may have bought and sold a few on their own.

So far I don't get bent out of shape over a "How much" as it is their tactless way of starting a conversation, I can't read minds yet so I don't know if a person is being a dickwad or just at a loss for the appropriate words.

If I ever get the distinct impression someone's being a jerk off I have no problem cutting them off at the pass.

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Most of the time I entertain them a bit. Ask them how much they were thinking of. I'm pretty sure most people have no idea what the value of these things are. I once had a guy offer my $4,000. I told him add a zero and he laughed and said "It's a 30 year old car." I said, Yeah, a 30 year old car that there's only about 6,000 left in existence. It's not like it's a 30 year old Mustang."

No joke... My wife and I were having dinner 2 nights ago and came out of the restaurant to a guy sitting in his truck next to my car. He introduced himself as a car dealer and wanted to know if I'd sell it. I'm pretty sure he had been waiting, not sure how long, just to talk to me. I told him there's always a few available on eBay etc... His response, "I'm looking for a cheap one." I told him that this one isn't one of those...

Seesh

Cheers
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    I once had a guy offer my $4,000. I told him add a zero and he laughed and said "It's a 30 year old car."
    Yeah try that logic at Barrett Jackson dumbass.

Why don't these people ever cross my path?

My VIN:    5312

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    Most of the time I entertain them a bit. Ask them how much they were thinking of. I'm pretty sure most people have no idea what the value of these things are. I once had a guy offer my $4,000. I told him add a zero and he laughed and said "It's a 30 year old car." I said, Yeah, a 30 year old car that there's only about 6,000 left in existence. It's not like it's a 30 year old Mustang."

No joke... My wife and I were having dinner 2 nights ago and came out of the restaurant to a guy sitting in his truck next to my car. He introduced himself as a car dealer and wanted to know if I'd sell it. I'm pretty sure he had been waiting, not sure how long, just to talk to me. I told him there's always a few available on eBay etc... His response, "I'm looking for a cheap one." I told him that this one isn't one of those...

Seesh

Cheers
    Steve
    tell'em Beverly hills car club is > that way. As time goes on the value of these cars and many other sought after 70s and 80s cars will continue to rise. Just because shit boy I could of had one of these for 12 k 15 years ago thinks that's how it is , no times change. I was going to buy a Pantera before my delorean as they were both cars I love. I settled on the D as it's my all time favorite car, and truth be told the value of a Pantera has doubled in 4 years. That's just how the car market goes and some people can't grasp this. Esp with low volume produced cars like ours
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast