FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Did I totally screw up my Carburetor

My VIN:    17007

Did I totally screw up my Carburetor

So I was looking to rebuild my motorcycle carburetors all was going well.instead of taking the traditional route and using a degreaser can and letting them sit in there I opted for a sonic cleaner and used super clean detergent. when I took the carburetor out of the machine there was tons of white foam on it so I then put it in The can of gunk carburetor parts cleaner and this is the end result. I don’t know what to make of this black stuff won’t wipe off and is all over my hands when handling the carb
    Attached Images

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Super Clean Detergent contains Sodium Hydroxide which is corrosive. The white powder you saw afterwards is corrosion. Normally you'd neutralize the chemical afterwards by rinsing well or washing in mild detergent.

The chemicals in the carburetor cleaner probably turned that corrosion into aluminum powder / smut.

Does the black powder feel slippery? If so that's normal aluminum powder.

When I polished an aluminum banjo fitting using Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish, the fitting turned black because the acidic polish was removing material, as a first step to make it shine. The fitting was originally blue anodized.

I'd try Mother's on a test spot to see if it removes the black residue. ( or a mild acid like lemon juice). You'll have to use a cloth to rub the aluminum afterwards.

Then, you can neutralize acids with a sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) solution .

Here's the package for Mother's if you want to try that. (I also used it to polish other parts like the stainless steel frames for the bottom door seals.)

Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

I’ll give it a shot thanks

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Was thinking about this and I would try Carburetor Cleaner. It comes in a 1 gallon can with a basket inside and you dip the parts in it and let them soak. They sell it at AutoZone but any large auto store should have it.
    David Teitelbaum

Soaking as we speak thanks !

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

If a caustic solution caused this, you might try an acidic one to see if it 'reverses' it. Vinegar in water. Barkeeper's Friend I believe is acidic too. Keep it mild. Soak. Rinse.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Going to take it out of the can of carb cleaner today. If that didn't work , I'll try the vinegar with water. I'll post results here