FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lower crankcase

Lower crankcase

Are there any other Peugeot, Renault or Volvo PVR's that use the same lower crankcase as our D?

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Is there something wrong with the lower crankcase of your Renault Z7U?

If you plan on keeping the turbocharger, look for a Volvo B280F. The two middle main bearings are cross-bolted and I believe it has inlet and outlet for an external oil cooler.

The problem with any engine swap will of course be the location of the engine mount bosses.

I do look forward to seeing your build.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    I believe it has inlet and outlet for an external oil cooler.
    It's a removable deal, ties into the pass side head plug and returns by the heater pipe. You could swap it to a B28 if you wanted. Original exchangers are unobtanium.
    100_5336.jpg

I almost installed a VW unit on my car. The VW 2.0 ABA heat exchanger & filter pipe nipple matches the B2x filter footprint. Would have taken some tube fabrication and probably swapping to the Eagle starter. First I ran out of time and then I ran out of desire.
    73036527955b869b0ba69d755fd75151f9f15c99.IMAG1760_595.jpg
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    02613

Thanks for clarifying, Luke - and for the photos!
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Sirolf View Post
    Are there any other Peugeot, Renault or Volvo PVR's that use the same lower crankcase as our D?
    Far as I know, only one.

c458-rear-remote.jpg
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Actually.... I have two original coolers available to sell, I think I even have all the hardware/pipes etc for one and most for the other except hoses. I have been running one for years now, biggest issue was getting straight hoses to fit without kinking since they don't sell anything for this. I have a "fat" oil filter on it and it clears the DPI headers with plenty of room. It also cleared the UK headers when I had them.

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    Original exchangers are unobtanium.
    Last edited by dn010; 03-11-2019 at 12:18 PM.
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    Is there something wrong with the lower crankcase of your Renault Z7U?

If you plan on keeping the turbocharger, look for a Volvo B280F. The two middle main bearings are cross-bolted and I believe it has inlet and outlet for an external oil cooler.

The problem with any engine swap will of course be the location of the engine mount bosses.

I do look forward to seeing your build.
    Lower crankcase on the Z7U has the engine bosses right at the center.. so i can not use that one. And if at all possible i would like to keep my factory engine complete untill i know the 2.5 runs reliable.

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    Actually.... I have two original coolers available to sell
    Well that was easy! There are two for sale in the known universe

Based on the size I wonder if these aren't more for warming cold oil than cooling hot oil. That's why I never finished adapting the VW unit - figured running a watercooled turbo fulfilled the warm-up assistance well enough.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

I thought about how the original application for the B280F had an oil temp probe and oil temp gauge, oil temp lamp...I wondered if there was some sort of oil temp issues with these engines. I kept it installed just because it was easier to leave it alone then go around removing the plumbing and all that crap. Since we don't have any of those oil temp lights and oil temp gauges, what it is actually doing for me remains a mystery.

As far as the OP's question, it seems you have two options. 1 is to use the lower crankcase from the original engine. It is not difficult to swap out and you can always swap it right back if there are issues. 2 is to put some ads out and hope to find a used lower crankcase that someone is willing to sell. When I did my swap, I was lucky to find someone selling the lower crank case, I think due it was parted block rot. This way when I had the B280 running nicely, I was still able to sell the original engine and put that money back into the car.

A third option would be to go out of your way to fabricate some way to get your current style lower crankcase to mount to the frame. To me, going this route would seem pretty extreme when the two solutions above are pretty simple compared.
    -----Dan B.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

We have used refurbished lower units available currently. Let us know if we can assist with this.

Also if you are not in a big hurry we are producing new versions of this as well. Check out the list of all our in production components currently underway below. This perticular component has undergone design work, pre production casting analysis and is currently in line for first samples from our foundry. This will be available with and without integrated turbo oil line return ports cast in.

https://deloreanindustries.com/in-production/
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast