FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Reproduction mirror switch project

My VIN:    3771

1.32 batch sold out. Thank you for supporting the project. The 1.33 version (10 pcs) should appear no later than end of Jan 2023.

My VIN:    1335

Interested in the next batch!

Blue led, if you're able.

20221129_202454.jpg

Match the interior.
    Last edited by Dhennick99; 11-29-2022 at 11:31 PM.

My VIN:    16377

Just received my switch this morning.

318011565_5610690432371610_8674263782113618581_n.jpg 318083981_1392046181561987_1137328064299245141_n.jpg

I am VERY impressed with how this came out. I especially like the 'click' sound when you go through the toggle motions.

Well done!

-Nick

My VIN:    #4595

Just got mine today and I am super happy with the new mirror switch. Looks incredible and is built very solid. Thank you for filling this need for us!!

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

Rear Defog and front and rear fog lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhye View Post
    I owe you all my apologies for another delay. My private life affairs have become extremely time consuming recently and I almost didn't have a chance to work on the project since my last update. The only good thing is that the PCB and connectors assembly is almost finished:

Attachment 63671

Yes, your eyes are not mistaking - there are 9 wires instead of 8. The extra blue wire is for a parking lights backlit decal option - just in case someone wants to route this signal to the driver's door (or already did it). A tiny selector switch is installed on a back side of PCB to choose a light source (ignition switch/parking lights). An extra female pin for door's side connector will be included.

So I'm not going to set another deadline this time - I'll just let you know when the first 4 switches are ready for shipping.

As for the switch cap, here's how the raw 3D print looks compared with OEM part:

Attachment 63673 Attachment 63672

Design needs a bit of refinement (edge blend radii are obviously too small) and it still waits for filling the decal and some brushing. The clip-on joint has to be improved as well (it works but is a bit too loose).
    I really love the design of the rear defroster and I would love one for my car as I actually still use it. I also have front fog lights and rear UK fog lights and wonder if a cap could be made with that font also?20220417_193851[1].jpg
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

Reproduction mirror switch project

Hi
    I also want one.
    Let us know when they will be available.
    Thanks
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Dietrich View Post
    I also have front fog lights and rear UK fog lights and wonder if a cap could be made with that font also?
    I actually gave up with the switch cap for a couple of reasons. First of all, the cost of 3D print itself is prohibitive here - too close to what I could (probably) get for the finished product. Second, the 3D printed void filled with white resin would have rough edges, not to mention the process of making it would be tricky - the only way to improve it would be to develop the same laser engraved decal the mirror switch has. Next thing is the surface grain - the 3D printed cap will never look as smooth as the rest of the switches it sits next to.
    Being involved in many other time consuming projects doesn't help here either. If anybody's interested in developing the switch cap further, please PM me for 3D model in STEP format.

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

I actually gave up with the switch cap for a couple of reasons. First of all, the cost of 3D print itself is prohibitive here - too close to what I could (probably) get for the finished product. Second, the 3D printed void filled with white resin would have rough edges, not to mention the process of making it would be tricky - the only way to improve it would be to develop the same laser engraved decal the mirror switch has. Next thing is the surface grain - the 3D printed cap will never look as smooth as the rest of the switches it sits next to.
    Being involved in many other time consuming projects doesn't help here either. If anybody's interested in developing the switch cap further, please PM me for 3D model in STEP format.
    Well I appreciate your reply and I totally understand! Would look cool though with everything lit up.
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

My VIN:    03572

Do you use a resin printer? I made my gear shift ball with filled colored epoxy for the printed "decal" and then machined it smooth. I then sanded and polished it and got a glossy surface.

If you have an .STL file, I can print it on my resin printer for a test.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Do you use a resin printer? I made my gear shift ball with filled colored epoxy for the printed "decal" and then machined it smooth. I then sanded and polished it and got a glossy surface.

If you have an .STL file, I can print it on my resin printer for a test.
    I'm using MJF, a chemically/thermally fused PA12 powder (I'm actually ordering prints 'cause the printer itself is worth about 3-4 deloreans). The surface of it can be post processed (polished), but that adds cost and/or time, removes edges and still doesn't help smoothening the outline of the graphics. I know the resolution and surface quality of resin print is superior to MJF but I'm afraid of strength (and maybe UV resistance) being not high enough - unless I'm missing possible advancements in SLA materials/technology. Light blocking of thin walls can be another issue here (painting would probably be required).
    Anyway, I've just PM'd you my 3D model files.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast