FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Reproduction mirror switch project

Quote Originally Posted by Rhye View Post
    After some noticeable delay (: in design finishing (had to focus on another urgent project in the meantime), prototype mechanical parts arrived finally. Here are the results:

Prototype #1 partially assembled, waiting for some machined parts (pivots):

Attachment 60204

Prototype #2 assembled fully:

Attachment 60207 Attachment 60206

And here's some comparison with OEM switch:

Attachment 60205

Decal cut-out will be later filled with white resin, flush with the switch housing. Surface finish is more grainy and totally matt, but this can be addressed by some polishing - I plan to take care of it at the very end of the project. Good news is that mechanical parts of proto #2 work quite well. #1 still needs to be evaluated after completion of assembly.

The PCB design is now in progress. As soon as PCB and electronic components arrive, next step will be a functional test. If any of the prototypes proves to be functional, endurance testing will take place - I plan to prepare a test bench and make at least 10 000 switching cycles in both directions, with ambient temperatures varying between -20 and +80 degrees Celsius.

Do you need to bench test for that amount of time considering the switches will have data info regarding test info?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My VIN:    3771

Thank you all for the positive feedback on the project. I'm progressing very slowly now since I'm mostly focused on reproducing front end of my crashed D body.

@ Mark D
    You're first on the list when pre-production switches will be available.

So far, PCB prototype has been assembled:

PCB_assy.jpg

Now I'm waiting for a couple of mechanical parts the test bench will be made of. Simple electronics for automatic actuation of the switch is being assembled/tested in the meantime.

@ bigmac
    If you mean the microswitches on the PCB, then yes, their service life data is documented and available. However, all the custom mechanical parts that actuate the microswitches need to be tested for durability - simply because they've never existed before so their behaviour over time is still unknown. Final product must be perfect in every way and reliability is the most important thing here.

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by Rhye View Post
    @ Mark D
    You're first on the list when pre-production switches will be available.
    Awesome! Sign me up

Please put me on the list. This switch is perfect for my other customers backlit switches.IMG_0224.JPG

Why are there 8 jumpers on the board and does the transistor just control the led?

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
    Why are there 8 jumpers on the board and does the transistor just control the led?
    No jumpers on the board - these loops are just wires pulled through the holes in PCB to the other side (to prevent bare copper strands bending). The transistor-like component is a constant current source for LED.

I’d be interested in one too. Anyone have a way to backlight the defog switch?

Quote Originally Posted by D Knight View Post
    I’d be interested in one too. Anyone have a way to backlight the defog switch?

Yes you would need to cast a new cap with a white graphic so the light can get through.

Never done that. Do you make them? I’d be in for one plus two spares with heated seat logos on them

Coming back to the mirror switch project: I've just finished a test bench and endurance test has already begun. I expect first results late next week. Wish me luck.

test_bench.jpg

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ds...fw0qB-2itxhR2E

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast