FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Reproduction mirror switch project

My VIN:    3771

@ D Knight

It should be also fairly easy to MJF 3D-print the switch caps with decal cut-out. I'll probably give it a try and design/order one sample cap along with next batch of mirror switch parts.

Good idea. I think most people would want a backlit defog switch. Just have to add the 2 spade connectors to the switch and socket and run the wiring and add leds to the switch. Mine come in with the exterior lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rhye View Post
    Coming back to the mirror switch project: I've just finished a test bench and endurance test has already begun. I expect first results late next week. Wish me luck.

Attachment 61309

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ds...fw0qB-2itxhR2E
    How is the testing going?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all, I decided to extend my test programme and added 10 000 cycles (20k if you count both directions) in room temperature environment (22 deg C). So far, the switch completed a total of a little over 40 000 cycles (20 000 x 2 directions): 20k in room temperature and 20k in -20 deg C. Not even a single issue was observed during the tests. Both mechanical and electrical parts still work perfectly well. Moreover, I was not able to detect any wear of the moving mechanical parts, so all this looks really very promising.
    Here you can see my test bench inside a cold climate chamber:

IMG_20191004_201411470.jpg

To my wife's delight, everything takes place in the kitchen.

80 deg C test is delayed a little - I was forced to make a cooling system for electric actuator 'cause its not intended for continuous operation under such conditions. If the actuator doesn't fail, I'll have the final results in the middle of next week.

My VIN:    1121

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

I’d also like to be on the list for one of these new mirror switches.

I’m also possibly interested in lit defrost and window switch caps if those come out of this thread as well.

I'm sorry but the interest in mirror switches is so (unexpectedly) high that my (soon coming, hopefully) preproduction lot (4 pcs) is already reserved. If everything goes well with the project and if first owners will be fully satisfied with the product, I expect that they'll be available again early next year.

Endurance test officially finished. 2x 10 000 cycles in 80 deg C (176 F) completed - still no impression on any of the switch parts (wear is undetectable). Only my test bench suffered a bit - that's why it took a little longer than I thought. Hot climate chamber can be seen here (not much to see because of the foggy double-pane window):

IMG_20191018_172558616.jpg

Now what's going to be done next. I've collected a total of around 20 improvements to the mechanical design and around 10 to PCB design so I'll spend next week or two modifying 3D models. Once it's done, I'll have to focus on backlit decal fabrication and on switch surface quality improvement before I place the order for a 4 pcs pre-production lot. I'll keep you informed.

My VIN:    6125

Awesome, that looks like a pretty legit test setup you've got there. Keep up the good work!

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Im very impressed with your testing setup and conditions. Likely much more than the factory unit.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Yes, I know it's been a while. I've had a lot of other priorities recently and also some issues with my 3D printed parts supplier. I've also started another delorean-related project and it consumes some resources as well.

I've got all the parts on my desk now and assembly is progressing slowly - it turned out to be a bit of PITA since each part has a bit different dimension and some of them have to be corrected manually (MJF accuracy is not so good for serial production of a very small products). It doesn't affect the product's quality but seriously slows the assembly down (some redesign should be done again next time to make the product less tolerance-sensitive). Decal fabrication is another blocking point - after a dozen of tests I'm still not fully satisfied with the result (but I'm pretty close). I decided to make a "smoked" decal so it will be almost invisible in daylight (stock appearance).

If everything goes well with decal and assembly, I think the switches should be ready to ship around mid April at the latest - sorry for a big delay.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast