Today Hagerty posted a balanced article written by Don Sherman, formerly of Car & Driver, sharing fond memories of his exciting trip to Ireland in Spring, 1981, for the DMC-12 press launch as factory shipments commenced.

LINK: The Press Launch of the DeLorean

The article is very accurate and adds some new flavor from the point of view of an automotive writer on his beat, including getting to jet over to the UK on Concorde. Son Zachary and John Cleese are mentioned in passing. At the end he mentions the two upcoming movies, too.

Here are a few highlights:

• The day we spent driving the new DeLorean was more enjoyable than anyone deserved or expected.
  • Following a couple hundred miles of chaperoned driving, I reported many positive observations: mellow notes from the engine, safe and predictable handling, a comfy interior. There were undeniable hints of fun-to-drive mixed in with a few notable issues.While it’s true that John Z’s schemes seem suspicious in hindsight, only a handful of men have ever successfully attached their names to a memorable automobile. In the alleged con artist hall of fame, DeLorean’s bust sits right next to another hero of mine, Carroll Shelby.
  • All things considered, this may have been the most memorable car launch in my career. The DeLorean was clearly the Concorde of its era: flashy but flawed. Neither the car nor the plane made financial sense, dooming both to a short, albeit brilliant life.