FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: The further adventures of #2613

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Getting back to the subject of the taillight boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    I'm going to use professionally-cut boards. Cutting them by hand is fun, but I've been offered a set of unused boards from Josh S.
    This plan has fallen through, so I'm again looking at cutting them by hand.

Unfortunately I'm not able to make my cuts accurate enough using my pen knife. To cut through the material I need to make several passes, and the smaller cuts waver because of it. I'm looking at getting a heated knife, because not only would it make replacing the rear quarter glass easier (see other posts), but it also might cut Delrin better (and, I hope, faster) than several passes of an Xacto blade.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Depending on the hot knife, you will risk melting the delrin.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Ill send them to you, but im not dropping everything this moment to send out some free parts. When I send out my next batch of parts at the end of the month I'll send them out.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    Depending on the hot knife, you will risk melting the delrin.
    Thanks, I'll have a look at the temperature requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Ill send them to you, but im not dropping everything this moment to send out some free parts. When I send out my next batch of parts at the end of the month I'll send them out.
    I wrote that before we talked. That said, I know you're busy with much better things to do. I don't expect freebies, so I don't plan for them. If they show up, great. If not, Plan B takes effect. I need a hot knife to replace the quarter panel glass, anyway. My life's motto is: hope for the best, plan for the worst.

Brief update

The 32mm socket I ordered on March 18th arrived on May 24th.

I had to spend some time away for family reasons.

Work slowed down quite a lot, for quite a long time, but it's picking up again, so before much longer I should be able to buy the rest of the parts and tools I need for this project.

That's all for now.

I scored a pair of Owen Malbec's LCA braces second-hand, thus saving me some money buying the DeLoreanGo ones. I'm closer to getting started on the brakes and suspension work (might as well do them at the same time). I even have an impact wrench, at long last. Exciting times.

Using a cheap low-pressure fuel pump I extracted the remainder of pre-pandemic fuel from #2613's tank. The pump never bogged down, which makes me think that perhaps there's not much gunk in the tank as I was worried there would be. Considering I last filled the tank in April of 2020, I expected it to be pretty bad. Nonetheless, I plan to visually inspect the tank and I will "clean" it anyway by cycling fresh fuel in and out and then burning it in my daily driver. I will also replace the filters, just as a matter of course before putting the vehicle back on the road.

Do you run "no ethanol" fuel? If so, the fuel is probably not too bad. I keep no ethanol fuel in a 55 gallon drum for emergencies. It lasts about three years with some stable added. (I run it mixed 3 to 1 with fresh fuel in my truck after that. (No issues)

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Do you run "no ethanol" fuel?
    Yes I do, as much as possible. I fortunately live in an area where there are lots of boaters, so a lot of stations down here sell ethanol-free. There was some "regular" gas in the tank, though, because when I'm traveling I don't always have the luxury of finding an ethanol-free station. I guess I got lucky, because it looks and smells fine!

The weather here is starting to become more tolerable and I should be fully recovered from a shoulder injury soon so that I can start working on the car again. I'm glad this forum is still here so that I can get support from more experienced folks - I'll be doing some work I've never done before. Getting excited!

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast