FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: The further adventures of #2613

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    Once the third brake light (from a C4 Corvette) is installed and working I will upgrade the headlights to H4 housings (the ones Tom Neiland used) with LEDs inside (Hikari 9600s). I have already purchased ceramic headlamp sockets to replace the cracked OEM sockets and will likely replace the terminals as well with fresh brass.
    The third brake light has been re-wired and LEDs installed. I verified it works. However, it hasn't been stripped, painted, and installed yet. I decided to go ahead with the LEDs up front.

The H4 sockets take terminals slightly larger than the 1/4" brass ones I have on hand, so I didn't replace the terminals. Instead I went the more circuitous route of snipping off the OEM connectors and splicing the new H4 pigtails on, using my now customary crimp-solder-heatshrink method. I now have a few more inches of wire at the end of each harness, but that's OK because there's plenty of room for the extra length to be tucked away.

But I only have three of the four installed. Here's why:

The LH low beam wiring barely has any slack in it. When I follow it rearward with my fingers, it seems to be stuck, pinched between the headlight bucket and the bracket behind it. I'd like to free the wires (and make sure the insulation hasn't been damaged!), but I'm not sure how to do so. Are the adjusting screws and springs the only point of attachment for the headlight buckets? If so, I'm going to have a devil of a time trying to remove and replace the bucket in order to free the wiring.

Everything there is so terribly rusty anyway I am tempted to just replace the whole assembly, but I'm not sure I can do that without removing the fascia. This is an area of the car I don't normally work on, and I'm nervous about taking things apart that I might not get back together again.

Edit -- I guess photos would be useful.

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0611.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0614.jpg

Oh, did I mention my engine compartment lighting? I added engine compartment lighting. Here's a "before and after."

engine compartment lighting before and after.jpg
    Last edited by Farrar; 02-09-2020 at 12:22 AM. Reason: added photos
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted