FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14

Thread: The further adventures of #2613

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Parts are arriving!

My Drayron taillight boards arrived tonight, and I can't wait to put them into service. They will allow me to have dual-intensity red lights for running/brakes.

I found out why the brake light fuse had been blowing: my (metal) reflector for the middle red light was shorting out some of the terminals on my homemade board. Turns out my homemade board might actually have been OK (explains why it functioned fine except when installed.) But since the Drayron boards are already bought and paid for, I might as well use them. If I choose to use a reflector in the middle position, I will glue some flexible rubber to its backside to serve as insulation; I will take a look and see how the lights look before making that decision.

Meanwhile, my new head unit and cameras have arrived. Soon it will be time for me to enter Wiring Hell as I attempt to eliminate this car's blind spots.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Looks like we'll be moving again in a couple of months, so my priorities have shifted from creature comforts to getting the car roadworthy again as soon as possible.

My own attempt at making taillight boards having been less than a 100% success, I bought the Drayron boards which have the same function as I wanted: dual-intensity red lights. Tonight I installed them.

One of the cool things about these boards is that that have through holes just above the regular connections, and they're conveniently labeled. I made my own pigtails for the boards using 16AWG wire (the holes in the boards were exactly the right size for 16AWG) and used six-terminal weather-proof Delphi connectors with one hole plugged. Easiest job I've done in a while!

I have tapped the taillight rivnuts' threads one size larger and am waiting for the new screws to arrive any day now. Once that's done, I'll be able to fasten the taillight lenses in place and call the job done.

All external lights have been upgraded to LEDs; I feel much better now about the car's visibility.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Where ya moving?
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    Where ya moving?
    Don't know yet.

All right, the new taillight fasteners came in. For the first time in untold years, the taillights are held in with six screws, as per factory spec, with rubber washers against the fascia and black plastic washers protecting the taillight lens assemblies from the new screws. Although the screws are stainless and not black as I would prefer, they do look better with the holes filled.

The rear fascia looks straighter with the lenses properly fastened, which probably means that the taillight lens assemblies themselves are doing some work, and I wonder if this increases the danger of the lenses cracking. The previous owner already replaced them once because the red plastic had cracked on both sides; I have hairline cracks in the amber plastic. I did have to do some shoving on the fascia from underneath in order to line everything up for assembly.

If I have time when my other projects are done, I would like to remove and straighten the rear fascia (permanently, by adhering a metal structure to the inside) and maybe that will prevent the taillight lenses from cracking.

Edit: it just occurred to me that today is the day 14 years ago that I bought the car and drove it home. It's been a long an eventful journey with this car so far...
    Last edited by Farrar; 11-19-2021 at 10:31 PM.

Guess I should update everyone.

No progress on the car. My wife got laid off and we had to move further south to accommodate her new job (I am installing a portable a/c unit in our new garage, because south Florida heat and humidity are ridiculous). Also, our daughter was born last month. Life's pretty full. Fortunately, the car can wait until I have a little more time on my hands. While it did suck moving parts instead of installing them, it's all worth it. Becoming a dad is - dare I say it - more exciting than owning a DeLorean.

My VIN:    03572

Congratulations DAD.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    Don't know yet.
    Congrats on the child! Where did you end up?
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    Congrats on the child! Where did you end up?
    North Homestead.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14