FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The further adventures of #2613

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    As it turns out, the ignition module died. Once replaced, the problem was solved..
    I know this was a few months ago but I was wondering how you figured out the ignition module died. I am currently chasing a no spark condition and the module is the one item left to test.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by AugustneverEnds View Post
    I know this was a few months ago but I was wondering how you figured out the ignition module died. I am currently chasing a no spark condition and the module is the one item left to test.
    I was fortunate enough to have a "spare" ignition module.

#2613 has an adapter harness to run on an aftermarket ignition module. Once I removed the aftermarket module (and adapter) and plugged the old Bosch unit back in, the problem disappeared.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

I was fortunate enough to have a "spare" ignition module.

#2613 has an adapter harness to run on an aftermarket ignition module. Once I removed the aftermarket module (and adapter) and plugged the old Bosch unit back in, the problem disappeared.
    Ah so the OEM unit was ok. I've read they're a very low failure item and that was the case for you. I suppose I will just have to get my hands on another module to test mine.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

I am continuing work on the automatic transmission wiring harness. It's slow going, so I am still shifting using the little box that Bill rigged up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QUdn3Mmk1w

In the video you can see how squeaky, slow, and choppy #2613's wipers are. The blades are in good shape, but the arms might need to be adjusted.

And although it wasn't raining very hard, the passenger carpet got wet. I put towels down to catch the drip from the a/c box, but they were wet *underneath* rather than on top.

I felt around the a/c evaporator drain and it's not leaking. I poured water down the fresh air plenum and it poured out underneath the car. I felt around the door and the door seal is good.

Obviously, I'm stumped on the water issue. So I'm going to do some exploratory surgery, removing what I need to remove so that I can find every grommet that passes to the outside. If the front of the car is anything like the rear, there are probably plenty of holes to check. This will not be fun. LOL

got bored, made a meme

Originally this "meme" had a Yugo at the bottom.

I improved it.

Enjoy.

0-60.jpg

Temp gauge read higher than normal for the past two days: it usually hovers around 205 even sitting in traffic, but yesterday it was 212-215. Yes, I know that's not terrible, but I was worried about the cause, not the symptom.

After the car had cooled off, I removed the cap on the expansion tank and had a look inside. The liquid is brown/green with what looks like little clumps of brown stuff floating on top.

I thought I had flushed all of that Dexcool crap out before I installed the new radiator: I flushed the system backwards and forwards (thermostat removed, and yes I included the block drains -- flushing one side of the engine at a time). I used white vinegar, I used detergent, and I used tap water for a final rinse. At the end the water coming out was clear. But here we go again.

If this Dexcool crap has plugged up my brand new radiator, I am going to be really angry.

If you ever source a replacement engine for your DeLorean, make sure the previous owner has not used Dexcool in the cooling system.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

If this Dexcool crap has plugged up my brand new radiator, I am going to be really angry.

If you ever source a replacement engine for your DeLorean, make sure the previous owner has not used Dexcool in the cooling system.
    Damn GM....... F**K dexcool!
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Last edited by Ron; 10-12-2019 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Fix 2nd link

What I got from the cooling system had some time to settle. At the top of the gallon container, the liquid was partly green, partly brown, and translucent. Moving downward there was a kind of color gradient, with the bottom layer essentially looking like hot chocolate with some cocoa powder and ground black pepper in it.

People keep telling me this is not a problem. Fine. Maybe I'm wasting my time and money, but it's my time and my money and I've already replaced the engine and radiator in this car, and I don't really want to do it again. Call me paranoid, but I'm going to check the coolant every couple of days and change it if it looks suspect.

By the way: during today's drive the temperature gauge (the accurate one, not the one on the dash) never read above 205°F.

Temps ran higher than usual today. I'll swap out more coolant this weekend.

The passenger carpet was wet today after I got home. The evaporator box isn't dripping water like I've heard it can. Turns out it doesn't have to -- the flap of carpet that is supposed to go over the tunnel down the center of the car was actually sticking up and touching the evaporator box to the left of the drain, so moisture was simply wicking down into the carpet. LOL

I went to the Home Depot and got some camper seal tape. It's closed cell and adhesive on one side so it should do the job of insulating the evaporator box, but it's fairly thin so I will probably put two layers on. This should be a fun project: adhering stuff to something that I partly can't see! Makes me wonder if, back at the factory, the foam was added to the box before it was installed.
    Last edited by Farrar; 10-04-2019 at 11:31 PM. Reason: brain fart

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast