FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ecoboost Engine Swap

My VIN:    3799

Ecoboost Engine Swap

After much deliberation on whether to upgrade my PRV or go with something else, I've decided on a 3.5L Ecoboost swap. I've owned a couple of trucks with 3.5's and I'm a big fan of that motor. I think it would be a great fit for a Delorean because of its size, weight, and power. Ford makes a 3.5 crate motor with a control pack for swapping to a different vehicle. It even comes with a drive-by-wire accelerator pedal. The crate models make 360 hp and 400 ft/lbs of torque. I'm planning on using an upgraded UN1 gearbox. There are a few different companies that offer single piece shafts and limited slip for our gearboxes, sounds like they'll handle 500 hp if they're built properly. My car is currently an automatic, so I'll have to do the proper frame mods for the swap. The biggest downside to this is going to be the cost. New Ecoboost motors are damn expensive. I wouldn't mind using a low mile junk yard motor, but using Ford's control pack on a non-crate engine causes a no start condition. Thanks a lot, Ford. I've heard there are aftermarket control packs, but they're much more expensive. Still have to research that more. Another thing I'll have to tackle is figuring out a charge cooling system for the car. I know how all this stuff works, but I'm not a turbo whiz by any means. One nice thing about these motors is that they come as a fully integrated package with the turbos mounted on the engine, which will save a lot of time figuring out hoses and exhaust.

This project is something I'm going to take my time with and make sure I fully research everything. I'll probably start by getting the gearbox and bellhousing built, then try to track down an engine. I'm hoping by the time I reach that point Ford's crate motor is upgraded to the latest Ecoboost series, which is built a little better, or maybe I can find a different solution with an aftermarket control pack.

I'm looking at about a 2 year timeline to get this done. I'm a very busy guy so my spare time to do things like this are limited. Any advice is much appreciated, hopefully I can get all the bases covered research-wise before I start on this.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

"which will save a lot of time figuring out hoses and exhaust."

I can PROMISE you that hose and exhaust routing will be one of the most frustrating and difficult parts of the swap.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    6272 10638 17158

Look forward to seeing it finished!
    I wanted to use the 2.0L myself, but just wasn’t cost effective. Went with a gm instead

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Are Ford engines being utilized for the new Deloreans?
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    Are Ford engines being utilized for the new Deloreans?
    Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I seriously doubt they will actually build any.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I seriously doubt they will actually build any.
    At this point I have my doubts as well.

It sems that with way with no online updates since 2018. I think it would be a phenomenal package and offer great powertrain reliability. I've been holding out on owning a car to see what transpires with this but only time will tell. A modern engine/trans is just what these cars need. (No offense to the K-Jet lovers ;-))
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    6125

I was going to post this quote from Bush 43 that I always think of whenever the new DMCH new build cars come up. Something about Bush being from Texas and DMCH being in Texas just makes me giggle.

Anyway, I started googling to find it and then remembered that I had already uploaded it to the forums ...back in January of 2016 as it turns out. I can't believe it's been 3 years since this latest new build thing started, although I'm simultaneously not surprised that nothing has happened.

But you know how the saying goes:

Your plan for the ecoboost swap sounds awesome though and it will be a fun thread to follow along as your build progresses. Keep us all posted on how it's going.
    Last edited by Mark D; 04-17-2019 at 02:35 PM.

Have you looked into another trans option? Porsche 911/Boxster unit? Do you want manual or auto? I've always thought modern engine with modern automatic transmission would be a great reliable package.

2.3L Ecoboost an alternative? http://www.fordracingbyspeedshopdire...-6007-23ta.htm
    ~LXA~

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    Have you looked into another trans option? Porsche 911/Boxster unit? Do you want manual or auto? I've always thought modern engine with modern automatic transmission would be a great reliable package.

2.3L Ecoboost an alternative? http://www.fordracingbyspeedshopdire...-6007-23ta.htm
    TMK no drop in modern autos. The 997 transaxle requires a 6-8 inch notch of the frame, but it is relatively minor.

Boxster units... well you'd have 5 gears in reverse!
    Last edited by 81dmc; 04-19-2019 at 02:35 PM.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast