FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ecoboost Engine Swap

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Shit... mid-engine Boxster. Not enough coffee today!
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    Boxster units... well you'd have 5 gears in reverse!
    FWIW, the Renault 4141 transaxle was made to work in the DMC-12 by simply flipping the ring gear. Maybe that could be done on other autoboxes. Just a thought.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    FWIW, the Renault 4141 transaxle was made to work in the DMC-12 by simply flipping the ring gear. Maybe that could be done on other autoboxes. Just a thought.
    AFAIK that is not possible, that's why the 996/997 (modern 911) uses a transaxle that is wider. It uses a gear between the mini driveshaft to reverse direction to the built in differential. Also, boxster units are much harder to control. With the 997 transaxle, you just use a mercedes 722.6 controller.

If that wasn't the case, I would have gone with the boxster unit as it has a bolt up bellhousing to the vr6 using the Euro vr5 adapter. It also would fit in the frame a lot better.
    Last edited by 81dmc; 04-23-2019 at 01:46 PM.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    AFAIK that is not possible, that's why the 996/997 (modern 911) uses a transaxle that is wider. It uses a gear between the mini driveshaft to reverse direction to the built in differential. Also, boxster units are much harder to control. With the 997 transaxle, you just use a mercedes 722.6 controller.

If that wasn't the case, I would have gone with the boxster unit as it has a bolt up bellhousing to the vr6 using the Euro vr5 adapter. It also would fit in the frame a lot better.
    It is possible, Bob Brandys has been running one in his car for many years.

As for the boxster and 911 transaxles, they are commonly run upside down to reverse rotation. I do not know if this is possible with an automatic transmission though.

I find it hilarious that PTO the 996/997 auto transaxle has. Looks like quite an afterthought to me.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    It is possible, Bob Brandys has been running one in his car for many years.

As for the boxster and 911 transaxles, they are commonly run upside down to reverse rotation. I do not know if this is possible with an automatic transmission though.

I find it hilarious that PTO the 996/997 auto transaxle has. Looks like quite an afterthought to me.
    Oh I know you can do it with manuals, but we were talking about autos.

Yeah, the reason why it is an afterthought is because the 997 transaxle is just an adaptation of the 722.6 used in Mercedes cars. My 997 transaxle has the same main transmission section as any other 722.6. Only thing that's different is the bell and the extension housing.

This Mr. Brandy has an auto? If so, custom gears?
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2