FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Primary Fuel Pressure Regulator Shims - Source?

My VIN:    1890

Primary Fuel Pressure Regulator Shims - Source?

My primary pressure is a bit low (69 psi) since replacing the Fuel Distributor. It was well over 70 with the previous FD, although I don't recall the exact reading. So I want to shim the regulator to get a bit higher pressure. I've seen the shims listed at DeLorean Go, and I don't have any particular problem with ordering from them, but I'm surprised that I can't find a US source for these. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
    Robert
    1981 DeLorean #1890
    1976 Datsun 280Z
    1968 Pontiac Le Mans convertible

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC1890 View Post
    My primary pressure is a bit low (69 psi) since replacing the Fuel Distributor. It was well over 70 with the previous FD, although I don't recall the exact reading. So I want to shim the regulator to get a bit higher pressure. I've seen the shims listed at DeLorean Go, and I don't have any particular problem with ordering from them, but I'm surprised that I can't find a US source for these. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
    You could try contacting Toby Peterson at DeLorean Service Northwest / DeLorean Parts Northwest.
    (360) 358-3886

Cheers
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    Midproduction

You could transfer shims from your old FD if that's still around? Otherwise I'm sure Rob Grady, Toby, MW or any of the vendors likely have shims they could sell you for cheap. The primary pressure regulator is available on eBay, but not worth spending money to replace the entire thing for a few 50 cent shims.

My VIN:    03572

If you have a large junk bin you may find a washer that will fit. It takes quite a lot of thickness to bump it up 4 or 5 PSI.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Thanks guys. I have a call in to DMCH on this. Dave, your past experience on this seemed the least encouraging that this would do any good. Others have reported some improvement when raising the pressure from 69 to 75 psi, so I think it's worth a try. I'll have a look through my miscellaneous hardware collection.
    Robert
    1981 DeLorean #1890
    1976 Datsun 280Z

DeLorean Club UK DeLoreanGo Arran's Avatar

My VIN:    1764

Club(s):   (DCH)

Maybe I'm biased but I don't see the problem with buying from us - I have sent 2 shim kits out to the US just today for example.

It's an odd size (5.5mm) so we had to have them laser cut to our spec and from a specific grade of metal. I don't think you'd find them in a random collection of washers.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC1890 View Post
    My primary pressure is a bit low (69 psi) since replacing the Fuel Distributor.
    Any ideas?
    I agree that it probably wouldn't help...but out of spec is out of spec.

You could try using a thinner copper seal on the carrier (circled in Red Below):
    Copper Carrier Seal.jpg

If that makes it too high, you could then remove a shim (or replace one with a thinner one you might have).

If you are using one of the thick carrier seals, you could trim it down, making make sure it is cut flat, square, and leaves plenty of material...
    (A little goes a long way here.)

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by DeLoreanGo Arran View Post
    Maybe I'm biased but I don't see the problem with buying from us - I have sent 2 shim kits out to the US just today for example.

It's an odd size (5.5mm) so we had to have them laser cut to our spec and from a specific grade of metal. I don't think you'd find them in a random collection of washers.
    I have the shim kit from DeloreanGo, and I'm pleased with it. I haven't had to use it yet, but as above, I read about them having the parts custom made and decided to add the kit to my spare parts bin.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

I'll see what DMCH has to say - they might want to look at the FD since they were the ones who rebuilt it.

I've got absolutely nothing against you guys in the UK! I grew up not far from you - my father was stationed at Woodbridge 1956-1958.
    Robert
    1981 DeLorean #1890
    1976 Datsun 280Z

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast