FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Injectors - running different Bosch injectors - thoughts?

My VIN:    6149 plus 2418, 3633, 5030, 17086

Injectors - running different Bosch injectors - thoughts?

Hi,

Since some parts are getting harder to find recently I thought about using different injectors. What are your thoughts on this?
    The OEM Bosch part number is 0 437 502 022. Has anyone tried running 0 437 502 015 or 013?
    From what I can find the 015 are from a B20 engine, meaning ~500cc per cylinder. The 013 are from a B27 engine - 444cc per cylinder. DeLorean has ~475cc per cylinder.
    I can't find any technical details about their pressures and flows but physically they are identical.
    I have a car here that has the 015 installed and I'm wondering if I should try finding the 022 or just use the 015. The car doesn't run yet.

Thanks
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom
    http://www.deloreana.com

Please excuse my typos... and watch this: Ben Champion - That Auto-Correct Song

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The part numbers are different for a reason. Besides the obvious physical dimensions, the opening pressure and flow rates are different. That doesn't mean that it won't work, but it won't work correctly for the application. That said, it is possible the difference is minor enough that you won't notice but it could make it impossible to pass inspection, especially if you are flowing more fuel. At the very least try to keep all six the same whatever you do and pull the spark plugs once in a while to see how the motor is doing.
    David Teitelbaum

Not a self styled 'Guru'

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcio View Post
    Hi,

Since some parts are getting harder to find recently I thought about using different injectors. What are your thoughts on this?
    The OEM Bosch part number is 0 437 502 022. Has anyone tried running 0 437 502 015 or 013?
    From what I can find the 015 are from a B20 engine, meaning ~500cc per cylinder. The 013 are from a B27 engine - 444cc per cylinder. DeLorean has ~475cc per cylinder.
    I can't find any technical details about their pressures and flows but physically they are identical.
    I have a car here that has the 015 installed and I'm wondering if I should try finding the 022 or just use the 015. The car doesn't run yet.

Thanks
    I can't speak to the 015 injectors, however 013 injectors were used in the Volvo 260 which also used the B28 engine.
    022 injectors were used in both the DeLorean and the Volvo 760 with the B28 engine.

Whether you decide to use 022 or 013, you should use a matching set of injectors.

For what it's worth, multiple owners in the UK have successfully used 013 injectors in their DeLorean's over the years.

If it helps, below is a list of the Bosch part numbers for the Volvo 260 / 760.
    Volvo Bosch Part Numbers.jpg
    DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
    The Future's DeLorean Club

My VIN:    2805

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

I was able to find the 022 injectors on Rockauto, but they weren't listed under DeLorean it was a Volvo but I don't remember which one. You should be able to search on the part number and find them.

My VIN:    03572

Run a flow test with the OEM injectors and then replace one with the different one and run the test again. See if there was any difference in the flow.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    16409

Look up 1983 Volvo 760 on RockAuto to fine the 022 injectors.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Thank you for all the suggestions guys. I appreciate it.
    It turns out that the car in question has 013 injectors in it. The 015 have external threads so using those would mean replacing all injector lines.
    Unfortunately Rockauto is not anywhere near me... I'm in Europe. They do ship to EU but it isn't cheap. I don't mind paying for shipping but the thought of the local government adding 23% tax makes me cringe. Bastards
    What is weird is the fact that Bosch is a European brand but those parts are much easier to find in the US.

Since I can't find any specs on those injectors I will try doing some tests for pressure and flow. I wonder if they are really different.
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Is getting them from the UK an option? There is a Delorean vendor there.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

If the car has the correct Delorean fuel distributor in it, I would get the correct "022" injectors for it.
    Here are two sources in Europe:

This store states that they have 30 in stock:
    https://www.deloreango.com/us/delore...-injector.html

You can also check stock here:
    https://www.delorean.eu/catalog/prod...edpbec9ov2k5c5

Yeah, 23% tax is a sobering thought.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Guys,
    Thank you again for all the suggestions.
    I've got the information I was looking for regarding the injectors. There are differences between 022 and 013. Here we go...
    Both injector types have the same flow and flow curve - they will flow the same amount of fuel. There will be NO difference in emissions with properly adjusted mixture and functioning lambda system.
    There might be a difference in hot starting as opening pressures are DIFFERENT!

0 437 502 022 - opening pressure 3.5 - 4.1 Bar (DeLorean original)
    0 437 502 013 - opening pressure 3.2 - 3.8 Bar

The problem is that the fuel system rest pressure according to the DeLorean manual page D:02:01 is 3.3 Bar. That is above the minimum opening pressure of the 013 injectors. This means that the injectors might leak too much fuel into the engine on shutdown. They will hold lower fuel line pressure which might cause fuel vaporization in the lines and cause a hot start issue especially with weak fuel accumulator or other components of the system. This might not be an issue in colder climates and might actually result in easier cold starting but might cause hard hot starting in hot climates. If you live way up north and you see snow often you might give these a try but if you live in a hot climate I wouldn't recommend these. The best bet is to stay with the original 022 injectors.

Thank you
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast