FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The first AUX relay failure ever?

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

And while I'm out here in the cold I figured I'd measure the resistance of the coil: .6

That's a bit low isn't it?
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Ahh schematics are a wonderful thing and so are 37 year old Bosch AUX relays; of course the white wire I found connected to the mystery relay belongs on AUX I and now that it's back where it belongs everything is working again with the old relay.

Still not starting but maybe the coil is the reason for that.
    Last edited by AugustneverEnds; 04-01-2019 at 09:20 PM.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Verify the presence of spark or give it a quick shot of Ether. Do you hear the fuel pump priming? Does the CSV spray fuel? Are the ballast resistor connections rusty? Did you push on the air sensor plate to see if there is any resistance? The stock ignition coil is not a high failure part even after all these years. Is it a stock ignition coil?
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Verify the presence of spark or give it a quick shot of Ether. Do you hear the fuel pump priming? Does the CSV spray fuel? Are the ballast resistor connections rusty? Did you push on the air sensor plate to see if there is any resistance? The stock ignition coil is not a high failure part even after all these years. Is it a stock ignition coil?
    I tried starting fluid and no start.

Fuel pump is working. I jumped the RPM relay just to see if it made any difference, it did not.

CSV has been out of a commission for a few years now because the blades on the thermotime switch broke off. I have a new TTS in hand, need to get an adapter from Deloreango to fit it.

I snipped off the old terminals and replaced with new ones on the ballast resistor, no start still.

Checked the connection between the distributor and the ignition ECU, looked fine.

After cranking attempts the air sensor plate does have resistance. Coupled with everything else I have tried I'm leaning towards an ignition problem. I have a helper coming by tomorrow so he can turn the key and I can look for spark on the plugs. I replaced the ignition coil in 2017 with a NOS Bosch one from DMCMW. My old one was full of corrosion and debris and causing stalling and erratic idle. I measured .6 ohms last night on the coil. I think I remember reading somewhere it's supposed to be .9-1.2 ohms so that's why I suspect it.
    Last edited by AugustneverEnds; 04-02-2019 at 11:57 PM.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    03572

My car needs the CSV to start if the car sits for a week or more without running. My hot start relay can run the CSV without the thermotime switch if you want to go with that fix.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    My car needs the CSV to start if the car sits for a week or more without running. My hot start relay can run the CSV without the thermotime switch if you want to go with that fix.
    For the past three years or so I have been giving it a shot of starting fluid if it has been sitting for a while. In the summer I drive it almost everyday and it starts up easily so that's why I have been putting off replacing the thermotime switch. I bought Deloreango's aftermarket version last November and overlooked it's longer and a smaller diameter compared with the original and needs the screw adapter they sell. I plan to order that with a few other items I've had my eye on.

I do have my eyes on your solid state relays, the fan fail, and electronic otterstat. Some previous owner totally removed the fan fail relay receptacle and hardwired the wires together. Since it's such a mess right now anyways I figure now is a good time to finally finish undoing all of the PO's hacks. Hopefully this year I can get the A/C working and it would be easier on my mind knowing the fans are not activating at the same time and putting the old wiring under that much load.

Of course first I need to get it running
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by AugustneverEnds View Post
    For the past three years or so I have been giving it a shot of starting fluid if it has been sitting for a while.
    Some previous owner totally removed the fan fail relay receptacle and hardwired the wires together.
    Ugg! -- I've seen that a few times.

Just in case-
    If you haven't removed the hardwire job because you wanted to see what the PO was up to (or ??), definitely do so before installing the new TTS -- If the rest of the circuit is stock, the PO created a dead short through the TTS's bimetal arm to ground (when it's cold), and one through one of the arm's heating coils (when it's hot). The entire circuit is unfused (W/R wire) and the CSV would not work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Ugg! -- I've seen that a few times.

Just in case-
    If you haven't removed the hardwire job because you wanted to see what the PO was up to (or ??), definitely do so before installing the new TTS -- If the rest of the circuit is stock, the PO created a dead short through the TTS's bimetal arm to ground (when it's cold), and one through one of the arm's heating coils (when it's hot). The entire circuit is unfused (W/R wire) and the CSV would not work.
    I had no idea screwing with the fan fail relay could short the TTS. That makes sense to me because when I bought 10287 the PO mentioned he needed starting fluid to get it going if it hadn't been running for a while and at that time the TTS was intact and plugged in but obviously not firing the CSV. Back then I was too inexperienced and timid to try to repair it. I know the CSV is good as I have done the plug swap before.

Been digging through my crate of spares searching for an extra relay receptacle. The ironic bit is someone hardwired the fan fail and kept the blue fan fail module
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by AugustneverEnds View Post
    I had no idea screwing with the fan fail relay could short the TTS.
    Been digging through my crate of spares searching for an extra relay receptacle. The ironic bit is someone hardwired the fan fail and kept the blue fan fail module
    Nix that idea -- I was up way too late and somehow thought you meant the warm up relay...

Going back to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Nix that idea -- I was up way too late and somehow thought you meant the warm up relay...

Going back to bed.
    Happens to me all the time. I think I'm driving myself insane working on the car at night when my brain is screaming to stop. Last night I was so pissed when the instrument cluster lights weren't coming on I detached the binnacle to check the plugs when reality slapped me silly and I remembered the rheostat has to be connected for the cluster to light up

That ended the night for me
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast