FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Heavy steering

Heavy steering

Hey all

I know the Delorean has heavy steering but I have owned many older cars without power steering and the Delorean is the heaviest by a clear margin. So much so you almost need two hands to turn a corner at 30mph. If my tire pressures are fine what else could I check to make sure it’s not a mechanical issue?

My VIN:    03572

Making a turn at 30 MPH should not take any effort turning the steering. Have you lifted the front end off the ground and tested to see that it takes no effort to turn the wheels lock to lock?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Making a turn at 30 MPH should not take any effort turning the steering. Have you lifted the front end off the ground and tested to see that it takes no effort to turn the wheels lock to lock?
    Thanks Dave. Not yet but I will do. Are there any common issues?

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Jonty View Post
    Thanks Dave. Not yet but I will do. Are there any common issues?
    I would thin if your steering is binding it would be a faulty steering rack. But to test what is faulty you would have to disconnect each tie rod and then the steering shaft coupler testing the effort as you disconnect each.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you have the correct tire sizes and pressures it should not take much effort at 30 MPH. You could have something binding like a bad tie rod end or ball joint or rack.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I've seen a rack that was bent due to some sort of collision before. If you've never done anything with your rack and pinion, perhaps it is out of fluid or filled with goop making it hard to turn. Like the others have said, you need to jack up the front and see what is going on with it. Turning in my D is pretty effortless, and turning at a stop isn't bad at all. I used to drive a 1950 Buick with manual steering and I felt like I was going to break my arms trying to turn the wheel at a dead stop.
    -----Dan B.