Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Saving the DOA?

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

I didn't join the ranks of ownership until 2007. Prior to that, I attended a few gatherings in my home state. No one ever mentioned the DOA except as something that existed on the west coast (other side of the country from me). Recently I got an invitation on Facebook to join their group. I joined it and looked at their posts, and the only thing there was weekly advertisements for DeLorean Expo. It looked to me like that's all they do is put on an annual show. So I left the Facebook group. Although I can understand the appeal of having a "mothership" connecting all of the regional clubs, I can't really think of any great advantage to doing so, especially when their social media game is so weak.
    DeLorean status:​ Daily driving my "rolling resto-mod"

My VIN:    10907

A follow-up question for those who aren't interested in the DOA in its current form - would you be interested in joining if membership included online DeLorean World archives? If so, what would you consider a reasonable price per year for that?

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue View Post
    A follow-up question for those who aren't interested in the DOA in its current form - would you be interested in joining if membership included online DeLorean World archives? If so, what would you consider a reasonable price per year for that?
    That is a neat idea! Maybe they could do a Patreon thing and have different tiers of perks.
    DeLorean status:​ Daily driving my "rolling resto-mod"

We want to be the mothership....right there is a problem. Everyone want's to lead. Nobody wants to help.

My VIN:    10353

I think I joined DOA when I bought my car initially. That being said, I've had more interactions and better experiences with simply joining the various Facebook groups like restoration and technical help ones as well as our local FB group.

I would say that's just a sign of the times, less of us newer owners are interested in some general owner's association but rather prefer a smaller group and more up to date information online versus some old magazine. To be fair I think I only joined for the DOA sticker but then I lost that too!

Delorean Guru

My VIN:    10757

Club(s):   (DMA)

Many car Marques use a national umbrella or association/club to coordinate and/or run a national event, be a clearinghouse for inquires and direct inquires to local chapters/clubs. They provide a way to get insurance and run a website. Few publish a hard copy newsletter but some still do with the associated cost of printing and postage (mostly the older ones where most members don't use the internet). With today's internet, local clubs can act as if they are national in most respects diminishing the need for a "national" organization. The vendors fill in the gaps. Bottom line, there is not much need for a national anything. Any groups or clubs still having a national are just maintaining a remnant of the past or a large enough to justify one.
    David Teitelbaum

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Most people don't understand that insurance used to be a huge issue. Thank God it's not anymore.

DOA could prove to be a viable concern as a nonprofit if some monied person contributed a property for a real museum and permanent home for DCS/Expos. Aside from that, I agree its raison d'etre has disappeared.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2