Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Chain noise

Delorean Guru

My VIN:    10757

Club(s):   (DMA)

Well, then it can't be an idler pulley bearing! It is going to be a water pump bearing, an alternator bearing or (least likely) a problem in the chain drive for the cams. As previously suggested, run the motor for a minute without the water pump belt and see if you still have the noise. Look at the underside of the neck for the water pump up at the weep hole. If you see moisture or staining you probably need a water pump.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Well, then it can't be an idler pulley bearing! It is going to be a water pump bearing, an alternator bearing or (least likely) a problem in the chain drive for the cams. As previously suggested, run the motor for a minute without the water pump belt and see if you still have the noise. Look at the underside of the neck for the water pump up at the weep hole. If you see moisture or staining you probably need a water pump.
    Thanks - it's a brand new water pump!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonty View Post
    Thanks - it's a brand new water pump!
    Just make sure you put a long screw driver on the webbing and put your ear on the handle to confirm it's the source. A mechanic stethoscope would be even better.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcnc View Post
    Just make sure you put a long screw driver on the webbing and put your ear on the handle to confirm it's the source. A mechanic stethoscope would be even better.
    Thanks - could it also be the crank pulley bearing? I did post a video of the sound on page 1.

My VIN:    16795

Fan on the alternator hitting something?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Fan on the alternator hitting something?
    Hmm will check that out as well thanks

Delorean Guru

My VIN:    10757

Club(s):   (DMA)

Just because it is a new water pump doesn't mean it can't be bad. Overtightening the belt can cause the alternator or water pump bearings to fail prematurely.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by Jonty View Post
    Thanks - could it also be the crank pulley bearing? I did post a video of the sound on page 1.
    It's difficult to pick the sound out from the video. I would also confirm the fan blade isn't hitting something as mentioned. (i.e. alternator tensioner)

My VIN:    5003

Club(s):   (DCF)

Take the belt off the water pump and run the engine (cold) for a short duration, see what it sounds like. No change in sound = something internal like the chains. Sound goes away with no belt? Then it's either the water pump or alternator. I've had a brand new water pump fail before (Hervey pump). This pump failed after about 5 miles, I drove it home with no belt in the dead of winter by shutting the engine off while coasting down hills and the gauge stayed low thankfully.
    Last edited by dn010; 04-11-2019 at 04:06 PM.
    -----Dan B.

Does the temperature sender sense actual engine temperature when there is no coolant flow? Just curious.
    Ron

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast