Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: Chain noise

  1. #11
    Delorean Guru
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Northern NJ

    Posts:    7,036

    My VIN:    10757

    Club(s):   (DMA)

    Well, then it can't be an idler pulley bearing! It is going to be a water pump bearing, an alternator bearing or (least likely) a problem in the chain drive for the cams. As previously suggested, run the motor for a minute without the water pump belt and see if you still have the noise. Look at the underside of the neck for the water pump up at the weep hole. If you see moisture or staining you probably need a water pump.
    David Teitelbaum

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date:  Jan 2019

    Posts:    23

    Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Well, then it can't be an idler pulley bearing! It is going to be a water pump bearing, an alternator bearing or (least likely) a problem in the chain drive for the cams. As previously suggested, run the motor for a minute without the water pump belt and see if you still have the noise. Look at the underside of the neck for the water pump up at the weep hole. If you see moisture or staining you probably need a water pump.
    Thanks - it's a brand new water pump!

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Nov 2014

    Location:  Alexandria, VA

    Posts:    186

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonty View Post
    Thanks - it's a brand new water pump!
    Just make sure you put a long screw driver on the webbing and put your ear on the handle to confirm it's the source. A mechanic stethoscope would be even better.

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date:  Jan 2019

    Posts:    23

    Quote Originally Posted by dmcnc View Post
    Just make sure you put a long screw driver on the webbing and put your ear on the handle to confirm it's the source. A mechanic stethoscope would be even better.
    Thanks - could it also be the crank pulley bearing? I did post a video of the sound on page 1.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Jul 2012

    Location:  Yardley, PA

    Posts:    171

    My VIN:    16795

    Fan on the alternator hitting something?

  6. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date:  Jan 2019

    Posts:    23

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Fan on the alternator hitting something?
    Hmm will check that out as well thanks

  7. #17
    Delorean Guru
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Northern NJ

    Posts:    7,036

    My VIN:    10757

    Club(s):   (DMA)

    Just because it is a new water pump doesn't mean it can't be bad. Overtightening the belt can cause the alternator or water pump bearings to fail prematurely.
    David Teitelbaum

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Nov 2014

    Location:  Alexandria, VA

    Posts:    186

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonty View Post
    Thanks - could it also be the crank pulley bearing? I did post a video of the sound on page 1.
    It's difficult to pick the sound out from the video. I would also confirm the fan blade isn't hitting something as mentioned. (i.e. alternator tensioner)

  9. #19
    EFI'd dn010's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jul 2011

    Location:  Florida: Pinellas County

    Posts:    1,735

    My VIN:    5003

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Take the belt off the water pump and run the engine (cold) for a short duration, see what it sounds like. No change in sound = something internal like the chains. Sound goes away with no belt? Then it's either the water pump or alternator. I've had a brand new water pump fail before (Hervey pump). This pump failed after about 5 miles, I drove it home with no belt in the dead of winter by shutting the engine off while coasting down hills and the gauge stayed low thankfully.
    Last edited by dn010; 04-11-2019 at 04:06 PM.
    -----Dan B.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Dec 2016

    Posts:    236

    Does the temperature sender sense actual engine temperature when there is no coolant flow? Just curious.
    Ron

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •