Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Chain noise

My VIN:    10270

It would sense whatever heat has convected to the top of the passenger side rear head.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Console5.com - Game console parts, kits, games and more. [shop] [wiki] [RSS] [f] [t]

Delorean Guru

My VIN:    10757

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    It would sense whatever heat has convected to the top of the passenger side rear head.
    If you are very low on coolant you will not get a proper reading.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    10270

I mean, if there's no fluid circulation you won't get any kind of proper reading.

The gauge is something of a courtesy anyway as the needle movement isn't particularly linear.

Either way, as a diagnostic, a cold engine would be safe to run for a few moments even with the WP belt removed.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Console5.com - Game console parts, kits, games and more. [shop] [wiki] [RSS] [f] [t]

Hi all

I tested without any belts. Still there. Local mechanic was a bit baffled on a listen. Def somewhere internal around the timing chain. Hereís another vid

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kPr_RZ...ature=youtu.be

Delorean Guru

It does sound noisy. When was the last time the oil was changed and what kind is in the motor? Is there any metal in it? Do you have good oil pressure? How many miles on the car?
    David Teitelbaum

Not sure on when Oil changed as last owner did (had it 2 months). Oil is a good colour. Heaps of oil pressure. Only 33k miles on stock engine. Not sure on oil type as that was previous owner. Wonder if itís worth an oil change?
    Last edited by Jonty; 04-13-2019 at 03:37 PM.

Delorean Guru

It's easier to do an oil change than dig inside for the chains. If it is not the right kind of oil that *could* be the problem. What I would do is an oil flush first. Buy a bottle of oil flush, and run the motor for a while according to the directions and then do the oil and filter change. Whenever I buy a used car and don't have good, recent service history, I change ALL of the fluids and filters right away. That way not only do I KNOW when it was last done, I know the correct fluid is in there. That includes the motor, the transmission, cooling system, and washer fluid. The car should also have a grease job on the front end and complete undercarriage inspection.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5003

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonty View Post
    Hi all

I tested without any belts. Still there. Local mechanic was a bit baffled on a listen. Def somewhere internal around the timing chain. Hereís another vid

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kPr_RZ...ature=youtu.be
    You post this video of the noise but there is still a belt installed in it....
    -----Dan B.

Thanks Dave.

Yes there is a belt in the video but Iíd just put it back on. Trust me the sound is identical without the belt. Just didnít want to be stuffing around videoing with no belt on in case it got hot!

Just an update that a mechanic has put a scope on it and is still isolating but thinks it might be the oil pump. Itís holding correct pressure though. A failing oil pump would be quite rare wouldnít it? Assume this is a PITA to replace.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast