FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Chain noise

Chain noise

Hi all

Sorry another query. I’m noticing the main belt for the water pump etc sounds like if has chain noise. The noise is loudest around the bottom pulley. It very consistent and doesn’t sound like anything is grinding. It’s a brand new water pump so can’t it. Is this normal or potentially a bearing?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonty View Post
    Hi all

Sorry another query. I’m noticing the main belt for the water pump etc sounds like if has chain noise. The noise is loudest around the bottom pulley. It very consistent and doesn’t sound like anything is grinding. It’s a brand new water pump so can’t it. Is this normal or potentially a bearing?
    Perhaps you’re hearing the timing chain?

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    Perhaps you’re hearing the timing chain?
    Potentially I am but its very noticable (can easily hear it from the front of the car). When I have heard loose timing chains befroe those it is more of a rattle than a consistent sound of a chain. Shoudl I hear the Delorean timing chain?

My VIN:    Midproduction

Are you sure it's not your v-belt slipping? what does your voltage with the engine running look like?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Possible it is one of the idler pulley bearings.
    David Teitelbaum

Thanks voltage is fine. What I’ll do is see if my local mechanic can have a listen to see if it’s a familiar sound before I pull anything apart

You might try locating the source by elimination. Take off the belt driving the water pump and generator. Briefly run the engine to see if the noise changes. Obviously, you do not want to run the engine more than 30 seconds; just long enough to see what the noise does. You could also do a test with the belt driving the AC compressor removed. Seems doubtful that this would be the cause but you never know, there are a couple of idler pulleys on that belt.

Ron

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Just lift the A/C belt off the top pulley and spin the pulley. Very quick noise test. Obviously doesn't test the bottom one, but they tend to wear out at the same time. OR just remove the belt. I've heard pulley bearings that get as loud as the engine.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Last edited by Jonty; 04-10-2019 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Just lift the A/C belt off the top pulley and spin the pulley. Very quick noise test. Obviously doesn't test the bottom one, but they tend to wear out at the same time. OR just remove the belt. I've heard pulley bearings that get as loud as the engine.
    Thanks - I actually don't have an AC belt on at present.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast