FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Electrical tape

My VIN:    10201

Electrical tape

I'm taking apart sections of the harnesses to remove wires I won't need with my electric conversion. I was wondering if anyone knew a good electrical tape that won't leave residue. I got some self fusing silicone tape for small sections but I'd rather not wrap the entire length with it since it'll be really difficult to take apart in the future.

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

I find that the best ones are the big brands like 3M. Stay away from the cheap Chinese stuff at places like Harbor Freight. It gets super gooey and slimy in no time at all. The key to any good tape job is to make sure the first couple and last couple of wraps around the bundle are NOT stretched much at all, but the main length is. That way it won't unravel.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My VIN:    03572

What I'm doing with my engine harness is I group a bunch of wires and use heat shrink tubing over the small groups. If you are wrapping get real harness wrap which has no glue. You back wrap the start and use a little tape at the end.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Tesa or non-adhesive

If you need adhesive-type tape, I've used TESA auto wire harness electrical tape purchased from Ebay very successfully. Used by OEMs, high temperature and abrasion resistance. I've also used non-adhesive wire harness friction tape (like the GM style but others work too) also from Ebay. You have to tie off/seal end properly but both work and look professional depending on your circumstances.

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

I used self-fusing tape for my harnesses specifically because I didn't want to deal with sticky electrical tape. You do have to seal off the ends somehow (ie: a little heat shrink or electrical tape, but only over the self-fusing tape, so you don't have to worry about the adhesive wires) or they might eventually, but it works well for me. When I've had to get to the wires inside, I just cut the through tape with a utility knife set to its shallowest depth, then wrap that part back up with new tape when I'm done. I have yet to damage a wire doing this.

-- Joe

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by Jensen View Post
    If you need adhesive-type tape, I've used TESA auto wire harness electrical tape purchased from Ebay very successfully. Used by OEMs, high temperature and abrasion resistance. I've also used non-adhesive wire harness friction tape (like the GM style but others work too) also from Ebay. You have to tie off/seal end properly but both work and look professional depending on your circumstances.
    Another +1 for Tesa tape.
    I made up my EFI wiring with it and it has a magical triad of: Sticks well, removes easily, looks good.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

An alternative would be to use the flexible plastic conduit, that way you can easily add and remove wires without wrapping and unwrapping.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    An alternative would be to use the flexible plastic conduit, that way you can easily add and remove wires without wrapping and unwrapping.
    Forgive me for saying this, as I know everyone has their own opinion, but that plastic wire loom stuff just looks cheap and plain awful to me. Not only that, it doesn't last long with the heat before it crumbles. I used it in my car and ripped it out a few days later because it looked so bad. I think the large shrink wrap looks pretty good in an alternative to tape, but I currently have taped wiring and all has been great for years now.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    5312

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    What I'm doing with my engine harness is I group a bunch of wires and use heat shrink tubing over the small groups. If you are wrapping get real harness wrap which has no glue. You back wrap the start and use a little tape at the end.
    this is your best bet. Heat gun and 3m shrink wrap
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

All the new cars use the plastic conduit and the good stuff lasts. The other way is the plastic tape without the glue. You can get that from Eastwood.com. Takes a little practice to get looking even and tight. If you don't do the ends right it will unravel.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast