FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Electrical tape

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    All the new cars use the plastic conduit and the good stuff lasts.
    I had two cars with that split plastic conduit and it was breaking and falling off less than 10 years old. What do you call a "new car"?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I had two cars with that split plastic conduit and it was breaking and falling off less than 10 years old. What do you call a "new car"?
    I think David is referring to the new cars on the showroom floor. There's a lot of plastic in the engine compartment. That said, it doesn't mean it's necessarily good. It just seems like they don't actually want you to see the engine or wiring anymore.

Ron

My VIN:    10201

Thanks for the input. I'm going to try for the gm style non adhesive with self fusing to seal the ends. Shrink wrap isn't a bad idea but that means disconnecting a bunch of wires. Im only cutting out the ones I'm not using to keep from getting a rats nest.

Not a self styled 'Guru'

Quote Originally Posted by Jensen View Post
    If you need adhesive-type tape, I've used TESA auto wire harness electrical tape purchased from Ebay very successfully. Used by OEMs, high temperature and abrasion resistance. I've also used non-adhesive wire harness friction tape (like the GM style but others work too) also from Ebay. You have to tie off/seal end properly but both work and look professional depending on your circumstances.
    Another +1 for Tesa tape
    DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
    The Future's DeLorean Club

My VIN:    10270

One other note regarding heat shrink - based on "experiential frustration"

Heat shrink - especially weatherproof style with adhesive - may create two stress points in the wiring at the ends of the shrink tube.

If the shrink tube is part of a straight run it will not be an issue. If you're using shrink near a connector, wiring bend, or other situation where wire strain may come in to play mixed with vibration. Just be sure that the heat shrink is cured close to it's final form and you should be good.

Super high quality example image:
    ShrinkStress.jpg
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2