FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Binnacle rattling/bouncing and interior trim piece warped

My VIN:    1596

Club(s):   (DMA)

Binnacle rattling/bouncing and interior trim piece warped

My binnacle has always bounced/vibrated up and down on bumps. I recently had it apart to install new speedo cable and tightened the four bolts down under the dash and installed rubber washers behind the metal washers, but it's still doing it. I don't see any way to move the knee pads up, but I can force the binnacle and fiberglass up about a half-inch by hand to separate it from the knee pads. The fiberglass just seems to have some play in it - but no cracks that I see. I was going to stuff some sort of black material in there to keep it from doing this. Any thoughts?

Also, the black plastic trim around the inside of the binnacle is bowed in from the exterior on the top and bottom. I've tried Gorilla glue and clamps with no results. Anyone know how to reattach? The exterior of the binnacle is mint, so I didn't want to recover. Thanks.

Not a self styled 'Guru'

The binnacle has 6 studs/nuts which hold it in place. If you only have 4 then it's possible they have been broken off by a previous owner.
    DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
    The Future's DeLorean Club

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Refer to Service Bulletin ST-14-9/81 SA-0004 to "firm up" the instrument cluster housing. To fix the plastic you have to use a glue that won't loosen under heat. Try contact cement. You should heat up and straighten the plastic first.
    David Teitelbaum

Hmmmm...

Anyone have a photo of the underside so I can see what I'm missing? This isn't an early model/late model difference is it?

Not a self styled 'Guru'

Here you go:
    binnacle.jpg

Two studs on the binnacle, and then another 4 studs across the the three brackets, 106627, 106625 and 106623
    DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
    The Future's DeLorean Club

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

I am really not looking forward to getting back in that tight space upside down to see where the issue is. I don't remember seeing the bottom two more narrowly set screws on the removed binnacle. I hope the plastic wasn't snapped off.

I believe I have all TSBs in a binder and will look that info up.

Thanks, all.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The best way to work underneath the dash is to remove the seat. 4 nuts and it lifts out. Then you can crawl in and lay on your back. Plenty of room. For lighting use a short piece of rope lighting.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    4665

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The best way to work underneath the dash is to remove the seat. 4 nuts and it lifts out. Then you can crawl in and lay on your back. Plenty of room. For lighting use a short piece of rope lighting.
    A little extra work to do this, but so highly recommended!!!!!

My VIN:    10353

The binnacle is fairly easy to remove, don't need to take out the seat if you are nimble enough.

I had some squeaks in mine as well as the middle dash section and ended up using some of those soft furniture/chair leg pads and stuck them between the two surfaces. I found some grey colored ones that matched the dash and shoved them down out of sight which really helped quiet my cabin.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast