FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: speedo broke today

speedo broke today

Out for a ride and the speedo dropped like a rock to "0", I'm guessing it's the angle drive or something like that. The cars going in the shop Monday, where do I point at so the mechanic can make a fix, assuming there is a fix?

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

It could also be the cables that connect the angle drive to the speedo or the dust cap that spins the angle drive shaft. None of these are difficult to spot and fix.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Quote Originally Posted by About time View Post
    Out for a ride and the speedo dropped like a rock to "0", I'm guessing it's the angle drive or something like that. The cars going in the shop Monday, where do I point at so the mechanic can make a fix, assuming there is a fix?
    The angle drive is attached to the left front hub. Your problem could be the dust cap, the quill, the angle drive, lower speedo cable, Lambda counter, upper speedo cable, or the speedo itself. Too many points of failure if you ask me.

You may want to consider a modern, reliable solution instead: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?17...light=SpeedBox

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    The angle drive is attached to the left front hub. Your problem could be the dust cap, the quill, the angle drive, lower speedo cable, Lambda counter, upper speedo cable, or the speedo itself. Too many points of failure if you ask me.

You may want to consider a modern, reliable solution instead: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?17...light=SpeedBox
    Thanks, I'll have it looked at on Monday and see what the mechanic says, we'll play it by ear from there.

My VIN:    3937

You can read through this article and share it with your mechanic to help with the troubleshooting: http://support.delorean.com/kb/a54/s...r-failure.aspx

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    1596

Club(s):   (DMA)

I happen to have a brand new angle drive, dust cap, and a nearly new lower cable (between wheel and lambda counter) all from DMCH that it turns out I don't need (yet). If you're interested, shoot me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxbot View Post
    I happen to have a brand new angle drive, dust cap, and a nearly new lower cable (between wheel and lambda counter) all from DMCH that it turns out I don't need (yet). If you're interested, shoot me a PM.
    Thanks, I will let you know.

On another note, I drove my daughter to school this morning and the speedo is working again.

Any insight?

On another note, I drove my daughter to school this morning and the speedo is working again.

Any insight?
    Not really. Any one of the components can work intermittently.

My VIN:    3937

Any insight?
    If you're lucky it'll be the plastic dust cap. Either the cap itself spinning or the square hole on the inside of it that isn't very square anymore. That's the cheapest and easiest component to replace.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    If you're lucky it'll be the plastic dust cap. Either the cap itself spinning or the square hole on the inside of it that isn't very square anymore. That's the cheapest and easiest component to replace.
    I'll be showing this thread to the shop owner.