FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Speedo cable lube

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

Speedo cable lube

Its been over 12 years since I greased my speedo cable and can't remember what grease to use. I still have both the factory cables and the angle drive. 140 speedo is the only new part. Starts to get a slight flicker at 75 mph.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

Some may not agree with this, but, I recently did mine, and I removed the screw in the angle drive, cleaned it with brake clean, then dribbled 80/90 gear oil in it, then removed the lower cable, from the lambda counter end, cleaned off the cable, and wiped water proof blue grease on it. Works nice and smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by hippieman9 View Post
    Some may not agree with this, but, I recently did mine, and I removed the screw in the angle drive, cleaned it with brake clean, then dribbled 80/90 gear oil in it, then removed the lower cable, from the lambda counter end, cleaned off the cable, and wiped water proof blue grease on it. Works nice and smooth.
    That doesn't sound like a bad idea with the gear oil considering how fast it moves. Where did you find that blue lubricant from?

Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Dietrich View Post
    That doesn't sound like a bad idea with the gear oil considering how fast it moves. Where did you find that blue lubricant from?

Just wheel bearing grease.

Quote Originally Posted by hippieman9 View Post
    Just wheel bearing grease.
    OK and that's simple enough and I appreciate you getting back with me.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you can still get it, it is a thin dark liquid like kerosene mixed with graphite powder. Cones in a small thin tube. Remove the cable and lay it on some newspaper. Make sure it lays flat and there are no kinks or bends. Dribble the lubricant on and feed it back into the outer cable. Don't use grease. Too thick and heavy and the turning of the inner cable will cause it to corkscrew out.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    Midproduction

This is exactly what I did with mine. I wanted to take viscosity out of the picture. I've had zero issues with my single cable setup since.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    If you can still get it, it is a thin dark liquid like kerosene mixed with graphite powder. Cones in a small thin tube. Remove the cable and lay it on some newspaper. Make sure it lays flat and there are no kinks or bends. Dribble the lubricant on and feed it back into the outer cable. Don't use grease. Too thick and heavy and the turning of the inner cable will cause it to corkscrew out.

That doesn't sound like a bad option also considering I use graphite powder with my line Lionel trains for a lot of the moving accessories, Especially with the post war trains than I have and accessories

Is this what you are talking about for the cable lube ?

I see it is available at a lot of places. Just Google it.

Dorman Graphite Oil #03344
    https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-80207-03344.aspx

My VIN:    16409

This is the stuff I’ve used:

758E0A4D-8BE2-4290-AAD5-D648B8C1200F.jpg
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast