FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The Auto Transmission VR6 DeLorean Goes 5-Speed Manual.

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Jeremiah - super well documented and congrats! It sure is nice having a car that goes as fast as it looks, isn't it? Curious - did you add the beefed up input shaft on the manual tranny?
    VR6 engine (367 rwhp/377 ftlb); Type T4 turbo; A/R=0.70/0.68; Air-to-air intercooler, Megasquirt MS3 Pro, Manual tranny w/ HD output shaft; Remote mounted oil filter.
    Adjustable dampers and ride height springs from QA1/DriveStainless; SS triangulated LCA brackets, boxed in LCAs, PU bushings, ventilated front brake rotors - all from DMCEU; UCAs with -3 deg camber from Reid Performance; 15" rear rims x 4
    http://deloreanvr6conversion.blogspot.com

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean03 View Post
    Thank you very much. I'm only going for about 325 WHP. I'm good with lower numbers. I think sometimes people get so obsessed with "big numbers" that they don't realize that "less is more", and with uneven wight distribution on the car - too much power can really result in losing control of the car.

The rear engine weight distribution is NOT the issue. That in fact helps the acceleration. The issue are the narrow tires, and the silly awful suspension.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    3299

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    Jeremiah - super well documented and congrats! It sure is nice having a car that goes as fast as it looks, isn't it? Curious - did you add the beefed up input shaft on the manual tranny?
    Hey look, a fellow VR6 DeLorean ; )!!! You are not kidding...I love knowing I can just gently (or firmly) push the accelerator pedal and "bye bye" to most on the street. It really is an awesome feeling!

I have not upgraded the input shaft. I have upgraded the input shaft coupler as Nicholas Roedl has performed on his LS1 converted DeLorean as well as you have I am sure. The input shaft is a whole nother level of "preventative maintenance", and a very costly investment. I know Nick upgraded to a single shaft unit, which is absolutely amazing that he designed the upgrade himself; however, the individual responsible for actually fabricating the unit into fruition has since retired.

I do know they are also available from Martin G. at DeLorean UK. Again, the price of admission is steep at $3800+ for the part alone, and given that I am leaning towards keeping the car in its current configuration, I plan to hold off on this upgrade - for now. With my transmission now a manual, the power is no longer lost from traveling through the auto, and I would guesstimate the power has increased to roughly 240 WHP - given that the power does not have to run through a flexplate, seals, clutches, pressure-changes, other burdens of an auto trans - it is now dependent through internal mechanical means of the manual. That being said, if 240 WHP is about what I have, man, it feels way faster than ever.

Again, I am just guessing. I need to get it dyno'd as right now it's mostly a SWAG (scientific wild....you fill in the blanks).
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    The rear engine weight distribution is NOT the issue. That in fact helps the acceleration. The issue are the narrow tires, and the silly awful suspension.
    In a straight line. When you take a corner at speed, or in an autocross setting you will find the weight distribution to be an issue. Lots of understeer.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    In a straight line. When you take a corner at speed, or in an autocross setting you will find the weight distribution to be an issue. Lots of understeer.
    Agreed, but that is irrespective of having more power. Jeremiah was talking about adding more power being a problem.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3