FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Meyle axle joints. Any good?

My VIN:    2245

Meyle axle joints. Any good?

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Kinda curious why you ask. The CV joints on the D rarely if ever need replacement. New boots and fresh grease is usually all thats ever needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    2245

I have some play in my axles. I drove my car a lot over the last decade, many trips between California and Colorado, and twice from Colorado to Ohio.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Probably the easiest and cheapest fix is to get a set of used half-shafts. Unless you are planning on putting a lot of miles on the car they should last you forever.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Probably the easiest and cheapest fix is to get a set of used half-shafts. Unless you are planning on putting a lot of miles on the car they should last you forever.
    You obviously didn't look at the price of the parts at the link provided if you think finding used half-shafts is the cheapest and easiest. Finding used shafts is hard enough, and I've never seen someone selling them for under $30 per joint (neither easier nor cheaper than clicking and ordering these).

Honestly, unless you're putting down a lot of power, I'd think the ones posted would work great. It's well known that the DeLorean uses Porsche 930 CV joints. If the joints on that site are good enough for a Porsche 911 Turbo, I'm sure they're more than good enough for a DMC. Pelican Parts is a pretty reputable parts source in the Porsche world as well.

My VIN:    10201

Any recommendations for getting custom axles made? I need new ones made to bolt up to the leaf transmission. I didn't want to cut and weld the 2 together.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Try to find a local driveshaft shop. It may require cutting up and splicing together some parts anyway or making the parts spline together so the half-shaft can change length as the wheel goes up and down. Not all C/V type joints can do that so the shaft must do it. You need a specialty shop that does driveshafts. Every large city has at least one to do work for hot-rodders,custom shops and trucks.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    Early

Owning a German car (1982 Mercedes) gives you some insight to these "German" brands. Meyle doesn't actually make parts in Germany, they just changed their name to "Meyle Germany" to give you the impression they do.

In the end, meyle is a so so brand. Some of their rubber parts are okay, but I personally wouldn't trust them with cv joints.

I would buy the $82 unit for piece of mind.
    Last edited by 81dmc; 04-22-2019 at 01:41 PM.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Agreed, I've stopped putting them on the Bmws at my work. The quality dropped off about 5 years ago. They make parts in Turkey now, not the same quality.