FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DeLorean on PBS show "Beakthrough"

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

DeLorean on PBS show "Beakthrough"

In the previews for BREAKTHROUGH: THE IDEAS THAT CHANGED THE WORLD, a PBS program, the DeLorean shows up for about a second. So it might be featured in the Breakthrough car episode. Here is what my local schedule shows:

PBS Takes Viewers on a Mind-Blowing Journey Through History with New Series BREAKTHROUGH: THE IDEAS THAT CHANGED THE WORLD
    EPISODE 4 “The Car”
    Premieres Wednesday, May 8, 10:00-11:00 p.m. ET
    Go for a ride through the 9,000-year history of the ultimate freedom machine – the car – from its roots in dogsleds to Henry Ford’s affordable and assembly line-built Model T, and meet the scientists working on the next generation of self-driving automobiles.
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I wouldn't expect much in the journalism department. The writer probably read a Jalopnik post and extrapolated. How much you want to bet they say new Deloreans are being made?

My VIN:    10353

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    How much you want to bet they say new Deloreans are being made?

My VIN:    10201

While I don't know if DMCH is capable of producing new cars, nhtsa has actually been dragging their ass on the law that would allow DMCH to sell new delorean. So I don't think it's fair to just bash DMCH over it. A lot of other replica car companies are being affected.

https://autoweek.com/article/sema-sh...aw-passed-2015

Jeez I wasn't bashing DMCH. I was bashing internet journalists. I swear everytime I post I guess I need to spell everything out in a legal contract just so the folks at DMCTalk get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Jeez I wasn't bashing DMCH. I was bashing internet journalists. I swear everytime I post I guess I need to spell everything out in a legal contract just so the folks at DMCTalk get it.
    I agree with the journalist aspect. It should definitely be brought up that nhtsa has failed to act. I've just seen a couple of posts about the new deloreans that also didn't bring up nhtsa delays. Bashing probably wasn't the proper term, but dmch can't do much until nhtsa acts.

My VIN:    Between VINs

Might've been prudent for DMCH not to put out a press tour *before* the legal environment existed to achieve what they say they want to do.

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Might've been prudent for DMCH not to put out a press tour *before* the legal environment existed to achieve what they say they want to do.
    Exactly. I have no problem calling out DMCH for being more interested in the opportunity for publicity than actually producing anything. They went ahead and created a swanky hipster marketing sales video before they even had the legal ability to sell what they were proposing to build. Not only did they not have a prototype either, but they also didn't have:

-An engine installation designed that that would meet the published, preliminary guidelines.
    -An electrical system and modernized harness designed to support the engine and the other proposed updates and changes from the OEM design.
    -Suppliers lined up to produce the dozens of NLA parts required (body panels, suspension parts, interior components, etc)
    -Suppliers lined up to produce the new parts for the updated interior and whatever else they are changing compared to the original cars.

There is currently nothing legally stopping them from building a prototype. It's been 3 years and they are leaning heavily on the lack of guidelines from the government as an excuse for not having produced anything. How about showing us a single NLA part that has been reproduced? All the DeLorean community has gotten so far from this "new build" project is a DeLorean.com store with even more parts listed as "out of stock" since DMCH is now hording parts for the supposed new builds instead of selling them to owners that could use them on, you know, actual DeLoreans that exist.
    Last edited by Mark D; 04-19-2019 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    All the DeLorean community has gotten so far from this "new build" project is a DeLorean.com store with even more parts listed as "out of stock" since DMCH is now hording parts for the supposed new builds instead of selling them to owners that could use them on, you know, actual DeLoreans that exists.
    Ohh but we get so much more. At every gas station, every parking lot, every FB post, we get to hear ALL about those industrious little fellows in TX making brand new cars and how mine is all of a sudden inferior to the glorious new DeLoreans being built right now.

Note for Talk members: Now I'm mocking DMCH

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Exactly. I have no problem calling out DMCH for being more interested in the opportunity for publicity than actually producing anything. They went ahead and created a swanky hipster marketing sales video before they even had the legal ability to sell what they were proposing to build. Not only did they not have a prototype either, but they also didn't have:

There is currently nothing legally stopping them from building a prototype. It's been 3 years and they are leaning heavily on the lack of guidelines from the government as an excuse for not having produced anything. How about showing us a single NLA part that has been reproduced? All the DeLorean community has gotten so far from this "new build" project is a DeLorean.com store with even more parts listed as "out of stock" since DMCH is now hording parts for the supposed new builds instead of selling them to owners that could use them on, you know, actual DeLoreans that exist.
    There was a car with the redesigned lights on that show I can't remember

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast