FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DeLorean Catches On Fire

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

DeLorean Catches On Fire

Just posted today. https://youtu.be/dGAOJ5aH1rs

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Shit! At least it looks like the driver is ok and the LF fender is in tact. Hopefully the damage is concentrated to the rear and it can be salvaged.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Gut wrenching.😐

My VIN:    6125

Man that's tough to watch. Hope everyone was OK.

Obviously engine fire, but I wonder what the root cause was. Fuel lines? Electrical?

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    Shit! At least it looks like the driver is ok and the LF fender is in tact. Hopefully the damage is concentrated to the rear and it can be salvaged.
    You can add a driver's door to that. Dude went to town with the prybar trying to get it open (to no avail.... at least we know our cars aren't vulnerable to getting broken into that way).

Gut wrenching is right. I'd love to learn the context and cause (without just blaming it automatically on old fuel lines).

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Theres not enough left of the engine compartment to determine a cause since everything plastic was consumed by the fire. You can only speculate as to the most probable cause.

Sadly this is a Total loss. Only a person with skill and a stock pile of donor parts would be able to repair it. You would effectively need another donor car with a severe front end damage then create one car from two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Theres not enough left of the engine compartment to determine a cause since everything plastic was consumed by the fire. You can only speculate as to the most probable cause.
    Unless the owner or someone familiar with what happens comes along and tells us. Like it was set deliberately (unlikely of course, was thinking more of that donkey in the 7-11 parking lot that blamed the cashier for not giving him their fire extinguisher).

Of course the owner could chime in and tell us it was the first shake down drive after fuel system work and then at least the guesses are within a certain window. But ya, only guessing to say what really happened.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    3028

Is it me or is that a very slow reaction time to put out the fire. No one had an extinguisher? And why would they need to screw up the door with the prybar?

Oh and bring on the comments about rough reentry, flux capacitor exploding etc etc
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyvonviggle View Post
    Is it me or is that a very slow reaction time to put out the fire. No one had an extinguisher? And why would they need to screw up the door with the prybar?

Oh and bring on the comments about rough reentry, flux capacitor exploding etc etc
    Looks like the fire had made its way into the cabin, after he failed to pry the door open he broke the window to get the water into the cab. It's there job to put out the fire completely after all.
    Very sad indeed, the original injector lines are past their prime, change em out guys! use new copper washers and torque them to spec! I'm not an expert but I don't think a fire like this is likely to happen without an abundant fuel source, and our fuel pumps run continually while the cars are running, any leak will provide an unlimited fuel source for a fire. If you do find your self in this situation, step one is to turn the car off, you can do this as you start to pull off the road even while you're still moving. You need to kill the fuel pump as soon as possible, turning the car off accomplishes this. You don't want to try extinguishing the flames with that pump still running, if you have a small fire extinguisher you have one real shot, don't wast it with a test shot while getting into position. then and only then will you have a slight chance at putting the fire out and reducing the damage... optimistically... I hope.

My VIN:    4792

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

Does this mean someone has a hood to spare?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast