FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: DeLorean Catches On Fire

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

fire?

Had a battery cable short to the exhaust, filled
    the car with smoke, melted the side post out of the
    battery and put itself out. Dumb luck.....?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I've had a similar concern with the starter heatshield and how close the underside of it is to the positive battery cables on the starter. The originals were asbestos, but the replacements are stainless steel, and this direct path from positive battery connection to the engine block ground is a little too close for comfort for me. I don't know if it is a matter of the slightly different shape of the heatshield replacements, the positioning of the positive cables all on that one bolt, or a deteriorating rubber cap over those exposed cable ends, but it all looks like there's no more than one millimeter of wiggle room before things touch and the car goes up in smoke. My new heatshield stays in the box, thanks.
    Asbestos is a better material for the heat shield, its an amazing material for lots of things, sadly our lungs don't like it very much. Other wise I'd want it everywhere!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

There is no fusible link so if the brown wires going to the alternator or the wires to the starter get melted from the hot parts nearby you can get an electrical fire. One of the ways to figure out what caused the fire is to find out what, if any, service was last done. Or if anyone saw the area where the fire originated.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by SS Spoiler View Post
    Had a battery cable short to the exhaust, filled
    the car with smoke, melted the side post out of the
    battery and put itself out. Dumb luck.....?
    Definitely dumb luck.

Found the picture of the remains of my cable.Screenshot_20190425-183356.jpg

Found the easiest remedy. https://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-CB18.../dp/B00139FQSS
    Last edited by 81dmc; 04-25-2019 at 07:37 PM.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    There is no fusible link so if the brown wires going to the alternator or the wires to the starter get melted from the hot parts nearby you can get an electrical fire. One of the ways to figure out what caused the fire is to find out what, if any, service was last done. Or if anyone saw the area where the fire originated.
    Yes, definitely. I took one look our set up and installed thermal shielding on the starter and alternator wires.

Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    Early

There's a lot more clearance with factory exhaust manifolds. Now when you get headers....
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    There's a lot more clearance with factory exhaust manifolds. Now when you get headers....
    Definitely. Even with the factory setup, there is a lot of heat happening in that area.

Glad you caught yours in time. Yikes!!
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3