FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Transmission (Gearbox) Mounts

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Replacing Transmission (Gearbox) Mounts

I can't find any instructions on replacing the transmission mounts. Anyone have that available? Any Youtube video? Pictures?
    Shannon

My VIN:    02855

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by lazabby View Post
    I can't find any instructions on replacing the transmission mounts. Anyone have that available? Any Youtube video? Pictures?
    Simple really. Raise and support car. Climb under the car. Support Trans, unbolt the mounts from trans and frame. and then remove. Install the new ones using same bolts. Do one side at a time and you wont have to support the trans.
    Bit harder to do on Automatic, due to less working space.

So the part I buy to replace the gearbox mount seems different than what's in the car. What am I missing here?

20190427_095730 (Large).jpg20190427_095539 (Large).jpg
    Shannon

My VIN:    10270

So the part I buy to replace the gearbox mount seems different than what's in the car. What am I missing here?

20190427_095730 (Large).jpg20190427_095539 (Large).jpg
    Nothing - its a multi-piece assembly and you don't re-buy the mounting frame. Take it apart and you'll see
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    3937

Here's a couple pics to help you see. I have the entire assembly ready to go for my own car. Overkill for sure. Likely don't need to replace the brackets on both sides, but I figured, what the hell. I'm still not convinced I can do this on my own with jack stands or ramps in the garage at home though. Likely gonna leave this for one of those drop the car off at a shop days where we can use a lift.

IMG_5676.jpgIMG_5678.jpgIMG_5679.jpg

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    3937

And here's a couple pics of a (pristine) rolling chassis I took at DMC FL that shows how those square-ish brackets bolt into the frame. This frame is a manual trans, but that half of the trans mounts I believe are the same (or close enough to get the idea).

IMG_3841.jpgIMG_3838.jpg

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Thanks for the pictures. They are helpful. Do you know if you have to remove the brackets to the transmission and to the frame to do the replacement or can one just remove the bracket to the frame?
    Shannon

There has to be a way of getting this apart in order to replace the mount. There is a bracket that connects to the frame. There is a bracket that connects to the transmission. There is a bolt that connects both brackets together. How in the world does one get that bolt out? The space is too small to get either a socket or a wrench on either the bolt head or the nut behind it. It's too cramped. As best as I can tell it's a 17mm bolt. I can't get a socket head on the bolt because the space is too small and even if I did, there's not enough room to move the rachet. It doesn't look like removing the bolts from either bracket will work because they aren't going anywhere until the bolt connecting the two is removed. How is this thing done?
    Shannon

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

There has to be a way of getting this apart in order to replace the mount. There is a bracket that connects to the frame. There is a bracket that connects to the transmission. There is a bolt that connects both brackets together. How in the world does one get that bolt out? The space is too small to get either a socket or a wrench on either the bolt head or the nut behind it. It's too cramped. As best as I can tell it's a 17mm bolt. I can't get a socket head on the bolt because the space is too small and even if I did, there's not enough room to move the rachet. It doesn't look like removing the bolts from either bracket will work because they aren't going anywhere until the bolt connecting the two is removed. How is this thing done?
    It's been a while now, but IIRC - Remove the small nuts/bolts holding the outer brackets to the frame. Then the whole trans will drop down for more access, with the mounts still attached to it. Don't over-extend the shift cable, may need to disconnect it inside the frame but I don't recall for sure.

It's still a pain in the neck (or lower) until you've done it a few times and figure out the combination of oddball wrenches and sockets. The automatic is definitely a lot tighter in this area than the manual. This is one of those things that the techs who do it all the time finally figure out.

Question though - why are you replacing the mounts? Not sure I've ever seen one fail. The transmission side brackets will crack, but the rubber parts seem pretty indestructible.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Question though - why are you replacing the mounts? Not sure I've ever seen one fail.
    On the autos? Or both autos/manuals? My manual mounts looks like this in 2016
    MTX Trans Mount.jpg
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast