FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Replacing Transmission (Gearbox) Mounts

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

DMC Houston recommended that I replace them.

The car is an automatic. I figured out how to replace the mount. Both brackets need to come out together in one piece. You remove the two bolts from the bracket attached to the frame. You have to access the bolts behind the frame in order to do so. The frame attached to the transmission is triangle shaped with three bolts. two bolts run parallel to the ground and one bolt it toward the top. The one on top needs to be loosened only as the bracket has a slot that slides in and out of the bolt. I recommend loosening that one first then remove the four remaining bolts. Then you have to twist and swivel and turn the two brackets until you can get them out. Perhaps lifting the transmission a bit from the frame will help. I don't know. BTW, be sure you have a jack on the transmission lift it a bit to take pressure off the brackets. Once you get the brackets out, you can easily remove the nut and bolt connecting the two brackets together and replace the rubber mount. I cleaned up the the two brackets before re-assembling. Then put the brackets back in the way they came out. You'll have to swivel the bracket so that the slot fits back in under the upper bolt first.

I ending up only completing the driver's side first. I've yet to do the passenger side and it looks like it has more hoses in the way so It will have it's own challenges.
    Shannon

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I too would like to see what qualifies as a "in need of replacement" mount. As Dave pointed out, the original rubber on both these, and the trailing arm bushings is impressively resilient.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2