FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Dwell at 60 all the time

Dwell at 60 all the time

Trying to chase down the cause of my poor gas mileage (currently 16mpg). Finally purchased a dwell meter and tested my engine. Dwell is approx 60 when started (cold engine, 80*f outside temp). It varied a little bit for the next ten minutes but not much. It pretty much stayed around 60. I’m guessing the O2 sensor is not operating.

Stage II engine, automatic trans, WOT switch disconnected (it was stuck on causing a high idle condition). Idle is right around 800 and steady once a little warmed up.

I’m going to test the O2 sensor next. Does .5 volts seem right for a warm engine with a correctly operating O2 sensor?

My VIN:    03572

Yes 0.5 volts is about what you get on the narrow band O2 sensor. Since you said your not changing much from 60 deg. I also would suspect the O2 sensor is bad.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Yes 0.5 volts is about what you get on the narrow band O2 sensor. Since you said your not changing much from 60 deg. I also would suspect the O2 sensor is bad.
    Thanks. For the life of me I can not find the O2 sensor connector. I see the wire, but can not follow it. There just isn’t enough room. Can I cut the wire and splice in a new sensor?

My VIN:    Midproduction

You should be able to pull on it until it comes out the rear frame crossmember. Otherwise you could splice the new sensor as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    Thanks. For the life of me I can not find the O2 sensor connector. I see the wire, but can not follow it. There just isn’t enough room. Can I cut the wire and splice in a new sensor?

My VIN:    16409

Do you have the rear left wheel removed? You should see the plug socket coming out of the fiberglass tub.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Yes there should be a connector on the drivers side wheel well. If not a PO may have pushed it through into the ECU compartment behind the drivers seat.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    10270

I would make a quick check at the WOT switch harness and ensure light green wire isn't grounded. 60 would be the magic number for the lambda enrichment mode. You might have a pinched wire or shorted thermal enrichment switch.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Yes there should be a connector on the drivers side wheel well. If not a PO may have pushed it through into the ECU compartment behind the drivers seat.
    I found it. Someone zipped tied the O2 sensor wire to the left rear spring. I cut the tie, pulled on the wire, and found the connector.

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    I would make a quick check at the WOT switch harness and ensure light green wire isn't grounded. 60 would be the magic number for the lambda enrichment mode. You might have a pinched wire or shorted thermal enrichment switch.
    Good idea. I’ll double check.

60 % duty cycle is what it would be if the WOT is on. It would not vary at all. Dwell would be at about 54 deg also not varying at all.
    Dave M vin 03572

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast