FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: AC evaporator drain hose installation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

AC evaporator drain hose installation

A while back I completely replaced the AC system, including lines, compressor, condenser, heater core, etc. it’s been sitting at vacuum (and holding it quite well), and I’m filling it today. But there’s one detail I still need to do: reinstall the evaporator drain hose.

I know where the hose used to exit over the frame near the accumulator, as shown in this image. I just can’t figure out how I re-install that hose in the first place. I mean, I’m not sure how I can get my hand in there with the accumulator in the way.

I’m also wondering how bad it is to not install the hose at all. I assume it’s there for a reason.

Thanks!

— Joe

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

There is a rubber boot that sandwiches between the evap drain and the underbody and it is TIGHT! I believe the rubber pipe attaches to that boot from underneath but I am not sure how to access it other than from top and getting that boot back in place is magic. All the rubber hose drain does is redirects the water off the frame.

:Cue long winded posts about coil boots:
    Last edited by Michael; 04-27-2019 at 09:17 AM.

My VIN:    10353

This brings back bad memories of working on the AC system. I think as long as you have the rubber drain port at the bottom of the HVAC box directed properly in the fiberglass hole in the passenger footwell then the water should at least drain out of the car. Maybe down the frame but at least not on the passenger's feet.

My guess is that you'd have to pull the HVAC box out to get that rubber drain hose back on.

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

The good news is that I know the drain is going through the body correctly. I know this because I forgot to remove the defrost duct and broke the bottom of the evaporator box when I forced the box free. I had to fiberglass it back together, tested that it’s water tight, and made sure the drain is going back through the body, so I SHOULD be good. I definitely don’t want to take all of that apart again.

I feel like the hose cane off when I pulled the box out of the car, but I don’t remember anymore. I definite didn’t put the hose back on before re-installing the box.

So it looks like I’m just going to let it drain onto the frame.

Thanks!

— Joe

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I couldn't find a way to get the drain back on. It's also prone to clogging. That's why I made this one-piece clear drain:

Drain-60.jpg

I was able to slide it down through the body hole, then pull it up onto the box. I then angled the drain down, away from the frame.

Blog post: http://www.16908.info/?p=3072

I had plans to make some extra drains tubes, but those plans fell through.
    ~Eddie, VIN 16908

My VIN:    03572

Nice. I did something similar.
    Attached Images
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    628

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Ed,
    I commend you for your instructions on your website. How hard was it to get it to feed through the spot where the original hose was?

Also, any idea how large the diameter of the original elbow is where it connects to the bottom of the Evap box? Would like to find something similar to that at Lowe's that does not have a 90 turn.

Quote Originally Posted by EdR5150 View Post
    I couldn't find a way to get the drain back on. It's also prone to clogging. That's why I made this one-piece clear drain:

Drain-60.jpg

I was able to slide it down through the body hole, then pull it up onto the box. I then angled the drain down, away from the frame.

Blog post: http://www.16908.info/?p=3072

I had plans to make some extra drains tubes, but those plans fell through.
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628
    Black Interior, Automatic
    TNDMC: TN DeLorean Motor Club