FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: AC evaporator drain hose installation

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I figured now is a good time to publish some video I shot of the drain replacement. This video was meant to me more polished and thorough, but I never found the time. Big thanks to my buddy who helped me with the video and let me manhandle two of his Deloreans. This is a rough cut, but this should answer most questions:

Quote Originally Posted by JBaker4981 View Post
    Thanks for the additional info man! I've ordered a replacement drain tube last night from DMCH as a back up (for $6.28 I cant pass on having a backup) however I have already placed an order at Lowe's for similar tubing. Definitely going to give your directions a shot this week and use the DMCH as a backup in case I get frustrated or waste all of my Lowe's tubing.

I assume you fed it through the inside of the car first? The gap between the Evap Case and the center of the underbody is so small - just curious how to tackle it best on my early VIN car. Also, what is below the opening? Is it hollow or is there a cavity that leads directly to the opening in the front right wheel well?
    Last edited by EdR5150; 07-15-2019 at 10:02 AM.
    ~Eddie, VIN 16908

My VIN:    628

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

You are the man! Thank you so much for uploading that!
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628
    Black Interior, Automatic
    TNDMC: TN DeLorean Motor Club

My VIN:    03572

FYI:

The drain hose or elbow on our car and all GM cars I've had has a pinch to limit the air flow loss through the drain. I've had to get rid of that pinched hose on all my GM cars and the DeLorean to keep the drain from clogging.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    FYI:

The drain hose or elbow on our car and all GM cars I've had has a pinch to limit the air flow loss through the drain. I've had to get rid of that pinched hose on all my GM cars and the DeLorean to keep the drain from clogging.
    Good to know. It seems airflow lost would be minimal, but you could always pinch the end of the tube, and not the elbow.
    ~Eddie, VIN 16908

I'm reserecting another old thread to ask a question. Today I had some water drip off my AC evaporator housing on the pax carpit. I was looking for the drain tube and mistakenly found the "cooling tube" for the motor. I pulled it off the motor and sprayed some compress air in it. When I looked under the car, some water had come out of the real drain tube.

At first, I thought maybe I unclogged it, but it didn't seem right that the drain would be off the motor. After a lot of searching, I think what really happened was I pressurized the whole evaporator box and blew some air out the real drain hose.

I later found the real elbow/hose and, of course, it looks tough to remove as everybody says. The fact that I was able to blow some air through it makes me think it's not completely clogged. But I'm sure it has some mold/algae in it. I could blow air backwards through the tube from the out side, but that seems like I would just be delaying the clog.

So finally my question. Is there a place that I could introduce a bleach/water into the box? I figure it would wash the rest of crud out.

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    So finally my question. Is there a place that I could introduce a bleach/water into the box? I figure it would wash the rest of crud out.
    If you pull the blower motor, you can see the evaporator in the box.

Use a turkey baster to suck up bleach water solution and inject it towards the evap.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    If you pull the blower motor, you can see the evaporator in the box.

Use a turkey baster to suck up bleach water solution and inject it towards the evap.
    That sounds like a plan. Tomorrow I will try it. Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2