FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: So how many DeLoreans are left??

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    In other news the car referenced in post #1 is approaching 5 figures!
    Worth every penny too. If it goes for less than 20k someone is getting a deal.

Under Ron's watchful eye. Glory be to Ron! Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    None of your business you creepy psycho vin counter...get a life

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    Worth every penny too. If it goes for less than 20k someone is getting a deal.
    Agree 100%

My VIN:    Previously 10115 & 5252

Years ago I remember someone from one of the DeLorean vendors surmising that there were probably no more than 1,500 to 1,800 DeLoreans currently registered & road legal at any one time. At first that number seems implausibly low, but if you’ve been in the community for a while you notice certain trends. Long-mothballed cars are purchased or inherited, the new buyer will dump tons of money into them, then disappear. Some number of years later, the car will resurface, having long-expired registration & often in non-running/road legal condition. The cycle rinses & repeats.

As far as the number of mostly complete cars left in existence, regardless of condition, I’d say there are still many thousands out there in varying states of decay. But I don’t doubt there are probably less than 2,000 running, registered, road-legal cars at any one point.
    Louie Golden

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    Years ago I remember someone from one of the DeLorean vendors surmising that there were probably no more than 1,500 to 1,800 DeLoreans currently registered & road legal at any one time. At first that number seems implausibly low, but if you’ve been in the community for a while you notice certain trends. Long-mothballed cars are purchased or inherited, the new buyer will dump tons of money into them, then disappear. Some number of years later, the car will resurface, having long-expired registration & often in non-running/road legal condition. The cycle rinses & repeats.

As far as the number of mostly complete cars left in existence, regardless of condition, I’d say there are still many thousands out there in varying states of decay. But I don’t doubt there are probably less than 2,000 running, registered, road-legal cars at any one point.
    Yeah, I have noticed that. It takes a lot of patience/resolve, reading/research, funds, and a patient wife to bring a mothballed car to a reliable running car status... even more so if you want to show it.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Being on my second Delorean, never have I let ether car fall into un-drivability. Even tho my first was a mess, with a bad frame. Do you think these new buyers eventually loose interest in the car? or is it really that hard to keep the cars on the road? I'm almost out of things to replace on my current car. I cringe to think that it could fall into non-running condition that easily.

Delorean Guru

My VIN:    10757

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Parzival View Post
    Being on my second Delorean, never have I let ether car fall into un-drivability. Even tho my first was a mess, with a bad frame. Do you think these new buyers eventually loose interest in the car? or is it really that hard to keep the cars on the road? I'm almost out of things to replace on my current car. I cringe to think that it could fall into non-running condition that easily.
    What does it take to turn a runner into a non-runner, about 5 years depending on if it is stored inside or outside, what part of the country, etc. I have seen so many cars (not just Deloreans) supposedly stored for the winter, only to be "discovered" years later. It doesn't take much, a death in the family, illness, getting married, growing family, a career move, losing a job, etc. It takes a lot of attention to keep a car running, more if you have more than one! One day it doesn't start so you just forget about it. That's why, once you sort out all of the things that have to be done because of neglect, you often find the "real" problem that caused it to be left to die.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    10201

Personally, running into a problem I found overwhelming is also a reason. Seems to be the same on shows like overhauling and garage squad.

I went into the VOD to change out hoses and got stuck with a sheared bolt for months. Then I moved and couldn't get the car to run. Now it's back in pieces but overall I'm way more optimistic than I used to be. Better pay and location.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    Personally, running into a problem I found overwhelming is also a reason. Seems to be the same on shows like overhauling and garage squad.

I went into the VOD to change out hoses and got stuck with a sheared bolt for months. Then I moved and couldn't get the car to run. Now it's back in pieces but overall I'm way more optimistic than I used to be. Better pay and location.
    yeah, thats tough. I had broken studs on my exhaust so I had DMC FL do it instead of punishing myself. Luckily my valley job went without issue. The thing that almost did it for me was the AC evaporator! Why'd it have to be that!? but Its all over now but the crying, lol

My VIN:    Previously 10115 & 5252

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    What does it take to turn a runner into a non-runner, about 5 years depending on if it is stored inside or outside, what part of the country, etc. I have seen so many cars (not just Deloreans) supposedly stored for the winter, only to be "discovered" years later. It doesn't take much, a death in the family, illness, getting married, growing family, a career move, losing a job, etc. It takes a lot of attention to keep a car running, more if you have more than one! One day it doesn't start so you just forget about it. That's why, once you sort out all of the things that have to be done because of neglect, you often find the "real" problem that caused it to be left to die.
    This. Sometimes it’s just a case of “life happens.” I sold my DeLorean right out of college for that reason- I was working a ton, not making much money, and I knew if anything were to come up on the car I’d just have to park it for a while... which is the beginning of a slippery slope. So I just sold the car instead. I’d rather it be kept on the road vs it being mothballed.

Plus, some cars seem to be happy campers, while others seem intent on being non-runners. You’ll hear some long-term owners say their cars have never once left them stranded, while only needing minimal upkeep. Other owners who have dumped tens of thousands into their cars can’t seem to keep them off the flatbed. K-jet is usually the root of all non-running issues, but some owners never have any issues. K-jet usually doesn’t take kindly to sitting, but that doesn’t always mean it will or won’t give an owner grief. It all comes down to luck of the draw, I suppose.
    Louie Golden

This. Sometimes it’s just a case of “life happens.” I sold my DeLorean right out of college for that reason- I was working a ton, not making much money, and I knew if anything were to come up on the car I’d just have to park it for a while... which is the beginning of a slippery slope. So I just sold the car instead. I’d rather it be kept on the road vs it being mothballed.

Plus, some cars seem to be happy campers, while others seem intent on being non-runners. YouÂ’ll hear some long-term owners say their cars have never once left them stranded, while only needing minimal upkeep. Other owners who have dumped tens of thousands into their cars canÂ’t seem to keep them off the flatbed. K-jet is usually the root of all non-running issues, but some owners never have any issues. K-jet usually doesnÂ’t take kindly to sitting, but that doesnÂ’t always mean it will or wonÂ’t give an owner grief. It all comes down to luck of the draw, I suppose.
    dang, my current delorean I've only had for a short time, and the only time I had to tow it was my own fault. I replaced all the cooling hoses in the valley and radiator and all that, but didn't do the ones that are half covered by the plate below the fuel tank. Lucky I'm attentive of the temp gage. I was pulled over before it passed 220, towed it home and had it back on the road the next day. In fact I drove it onto the tow truck (thats not enough to overheat it). My philosophy so far has been to never let it be in a non drive-able state. I learned my lesson about only doing half the job, so I'm not letting that happen again, I did the new fuel lines in braided stainless, but the kit does not come with the FV lines, or the return line, so I am doing those now.

My thinking has been along the lines of this. Now that values are high, any Deloreans that are currently in great shape will likely be the ones to make it the long haul (be taken care of and survive to see a very old age) and this I had thought would only become more true as the neglected cars get worse and worse, and values become higher as time goes on. Until eventually the top condition cars are only lost to freak accidents or occurrences.
    Is this wishful thinking?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast