FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: So how many DeLoreans are left??

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

So how many DeLoreans are left??

6,000 you say? Would this be considered a DeLorean? Is this in the "left" category?

This makes my point, there are not 6k DeLoreans left, there are maybe 3 thousand decent or better than decent cars left, and the rest are like this(or worse):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-DeLore...wAAOSwixRcwy8r
    Last edited by Michael; 04-27-2019 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    6,000 you say? Would this be considered a DeLorean? Is this in the "left" category?

This makes my point, there are not 6k DeLoreans left, there are maybe 3 thousand decent or better than decent cars left, and the rest are like this(or worse):

The good news is that the more values go up, the more worth it saving them becomes. I would never have started with a base car like this, but there are a lot of talented and motivated people out there that will.

"with your help, these DMCs can get a good home and the care they need" (as Sarah Mclaughlin music plays)

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

From the ad " An excellent original car needing restoration or for parts."

I guess it depends on your definition of excellent.

To Michael's point, 6,000 is just the estimate. Of that estimate, what proportion are in this condition, which was obviously left to rot outside, or cars that were poorly stored, and in various stages of disrepair or restoration.

How many are in museums or in private collections, never to be driven again?

On the other hand I have seen a few investment cars and that were properly stored, and are now slowly now being rejuvenated. What proportion are these in the estimate? They are probably in the minority.

How many are in the pool registered and insured to potentially see driven to the local Cars and Coffee?

It's an interesting question for sure.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

.....”Yeah but does the 6,000 include all of them new ones those guys in Texas are building? I hear they got like 400 HP. I think Jay Leno owns one. My buddy told me. Ford makes the brushed aluminum panels.”

-Random guy at car show

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

From my standpoint a vehicle that is remaining from an original production run is considered a complete running driving car or complete not running. (barn find, improperly stored, etc.) Even if the car was in a condition like Project Vixen and brought back to life, I count that as a complete survivor and still on the road.

If Houston starts to build new cars with the NOS parts and VIN tags well then that's a grey area. Will they assign new VINs and build dates? Would that be considered a 2020 or 2021 since it will have another powertrain besides the original?
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    .....”Yeah but does the 6,000 include all of them new ones those guys in Texas are building? I hear they got like 400 HP. I think Jay Leno owns one. My buddy told me. Ford makes the brushed aluminum panels.”

-Random guy at car show
    lol. Just missing the 'yeehaw' as he climbs back into his pick-up truck.

I think the number is far lower than the 6 or 7 thousand we sometimes hear too. 3,000-something is probably more like it, and there's lots to discuss or guess along with that. Though considering the usual car show conversations we have, I'm just going with 'about half are left' i.e. 4,500 cars. That's close enough for car show talk.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    Between VINs

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Low mileage. Rare. The should probably take it to BJ to get top dollar.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Whenever this question comes up we need to define the definition of "What's Left". Is it complete cars, running cars, driving cars, plated cars, it matters. Just guessing we started out with about 10,000. Under ordinary circumstances from other old cars, less than 25% would be expected to be actually running. Out of that 25% most are probably in need of a lot of repair. The vendors could probably venture a more educated guess based on what they service and sell parts to but I am estimating less then 1,000 are in good running shape. I would guess less then 100 are in #1 condition, most being in #2, 3, or 4, the majority of the 1,000 being in #4 condition.
    David Teitelbaum

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

At this point, how many of the remaining running cars are unmodified? I'm willing to bet it is a lower percentage than we'd initially guess.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    At this point, how many of the remaining running cars are unmodified? I'm willing to bet it is a lower percentage than we'd initially guess.
    And modified being drivetrain primarily? Engine swaps or fuel system changes?

Assume a car with an aftermarket stereo would still be considered unmodified?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast