FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: So how many DeLoreans are left??

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Unmodified? Again we have to agree to a definition. Does that include cars that never had a recall, never had anything replaced or updated like the header tank, fuel gauge sender, fan fail relay, been stored since the 80's in a barn, original tires, struts and all? How about headliners, light bulbs, battery. If you don't count wearable/replaceable parts like tires, struts, and batteries, it would still be a small list. Many changes are reversible, do they count? If you really want to get serious about this you get into Concours territory. Now ask yourself how many cars could compete and the list gets VERY short. Now you are down to a handful of cars. If you consider all of the ones that competed over the years (and over time even some of them are no longer competitive) you are probably talking about maybe 2 dozen. They are the best of the best in #1 condition and even among them some of them are not drivers without doing something to them like rebuilding the brakes or fuel systems or tires. The majority of our fleet of cars that actually work are going to be drivers, not garage queens. Of the drivers most are going to be in #2 or #3 condition. The tighter you make your definitions the fewer cars will make the grade. One reason there are so few cars of concours quality. Also keep in mind it takes a LOT of money to take a car and move it from a #4 to a #3 and even more to go from a #3 to a #2. And another magnitude to get from a #2 to a #1 if you can even do it at all. This is why I suggest to always buy the best car you can afford. It is always cheaper to improve a good car than to try to make a bad car a good car. The more original it is the easier too. Original cars are and always will be worth more than modified cars generally speaking. For instance the gold cars are in a special class (they are "modified").
    David Teitelbaum

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Calm down, Dave. Have a Snickers.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    LOL...I basically tossed a bunny into a piranha tank.

Besides everyone knows once you modify a DeLorean, be it swapping a relay for one of Dave's solid state units or swapping an engine, it is forever some bastardized clone of what was once pure and noble, now turned into something sinister. What was once honest and even somewhat spiritual is now dammed.

Not a DeLorean Guru

I love you, Michael. Hug me.
    -Mike

2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

I love you, Michael. Hug me.
    I hugged a bunny recently...didn't end well for the bunny.

My VIN:    3937

Good call. I think he's DeLungry. Or is it DeLoreangry. Something like that anyway. Pretty sure it's explained in the manual.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Thanks for worrying about me but I'm all right. My main point is that you must start from an agreed upon definition. By one definition all cars are modified if you changed the air in the tires. That is unreasonable and most definitions allow for wearable parts to be replaced but only with OEM or OEM style parts. Or things related to safety are OK to upgrade, replace, improve like on cars that did not have seat belts or safety glass it is OK to improve it. For practical purposes, if you want to go "by the book" you can refer to the Millenium Concours manual. Just be aware that it is not meant to be used for drivers. Or, you do upgrades and modifications as long as they are reversible, you don't have to drill holes, or cut things up. Something that plugs in like a relay or LED lights is easily reversible and no one would ever know so that kind of upgrade would be OK. Be aware that most "upgrades", while nice or convenient, do not really affect (increase) the value of the car but non-reversable upgrades will reduce the value. An example would be a radio. A better radio won't get you more money for the car (it could help it sell faster though) but chopping up the dash to put something in could actually reduce the value of the car especially if it was not done well and looked like a hack job. Some Deloreans had holes drilled into the Tee panel for CB radio antennas. Nowadays that will mean either welding up the hole or replacing the panel. Generally speaking the more original you can keep the car the better, if you care about it's value. A good reason to buy your parts from Delorean vendors. You can be assured they will fit and work without having to hack up the car to make it work.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Thanks for worrying about me but I'm all right. My main point is that you must start from an agreed upon definition. By one definition all cars are modified if you changed the air in the tires. That is unreasonable and most definitions allow for wearable parts to be replaced but only with OEM or OEM style parts. Or things related to safety are OK to upgrade, replace, improve like on cars that did not have seat belts or safety glass it is OK to improve it. For practical purposes, if you want to go "by the book" you can refer to the Millenium Concours manual. Just be aware that it is not meant to be used for drivers. Or, you do upgrades and modifications as long as they are reversible, you don't have to drill holes, or cut things up. Something that plugs in like a relay or LED lights is easily reversible and no one would ever know so that kind of upgrade would be OK. Be aware that most "upgrades", while nice or convenient, do not really affect (increase) the value of the car but non-reversable upgrades will reduce the value. An example would be a radio. A better radio won't get you more money for the car (it could help it sell faster though) but chopping up the dash to put something in could actually reduce the value of the car especially if it was not done well and looked like a hack job. Some Deloreans had holes drilled into the Tee panel for CB radio antennas. Nowadays that will mean either welding up the hole or replacing the panel. Generally speaking the more original you can keep the car the better, if you care about it's value. A good reason to buy your parts from Delorean vendors. You can be assured they will fit and work without having to hack up the car to make it work.
    That's a lot of words

Not a DeLorean Guru

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    No Dave, I really think that you should have a Snickers bar. Maybe two. That wall of text must have taken a lot of energy out of you.
    -Mike

2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    Between VINs

I enjoy both David and Michael. I am a wild and crazy guy.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast